- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
What is an Individual Electric Drive? (Types of Electric Drive)
The combination of an electric motor, energy transmitting shaft and control devices for motion control is known as electric drive. The following figure shows the block diagram of a typical electric drive.
Based on their assembly, electric drives can be of the following three types −
In this article, let's check the advantages and disadvantages of using an Individual Electric Drive.
What is an Individual Electric Drive?
When an individual machine is fitted with its own electric motor, then the electric drive is known as individual electric drive. In case of individual electric drive, each operator has complete control on his machine.
The block diagram of the individual drive is shown in the following figure.
Advantages of Individual Drive
The most prominent advantages of using an individual electric drives are as follows −
It is possible to control the speed of individual machine easily.
These drives produce comparatively less noise.
Future expansion is possible.
Individual drives have good appearance and flexibility in the layout.
In case of individual drive, fault on any one machine does not create problem for other machines.
Individual drive is economical in long-term.
As in case of individual drive, each machine operates near to rated capacity, so the power factor and efficiency are better.
Disadvantages of Individual Drive
Following are the disadvantages of using individual electric drives −
The initial cost of individual drive is high.
There is power loss in transmission system equipment such as gears, pulleys, etc.
Applications of Individual Drive
Individual drives are used in −
Lathe machines, etc.
- What is a Group Electric Drive? (Types of Electric Drive)
- What is a Multimotor Electric Drive? (Types of Electric Drive)
- Difference between Individual Electric Drive and Group Drive System
- Electric Traction: Steam Engine Drive, Diesel Engine Drive and Electric Drive
- What is an Electric Drive? – Block Diagram, Advantages and Disadvantages
- Electric Breaking of DC Motors – Types of Electric Breaking
- Types of Electric Motors Used in Industrial Electric Drives
- What is Google drive filestream?
- What is Drive-by Exploit?
- What is an electric cell?
- What is an electric circuit?
- What are the two types of electric charges?
- What are the different types of Electric Heating?
- Electric Welding: Types & Advantages
- What is Electric Traction System? – Types, Advantages and Disadvantages