- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
The 802.16 Physical Layer
The IEEE 802.16 is a set of standards that lays down the specifications for wireless broadband technology. It has been commercialized as Worldwide Interoperability for Microwave Access (WiMAX) that is responsible for delivery of last mile wireless broadband access. It lays down the standards for both physical layer as well as medium access control (MAC) layer for WiMAX.
Physical Layer Features of WiMAX
- There are two popular services of the physical layer −
- Fixed WiMAX.
- Mobile WiMAX.
- WiMAX initially provided data rates of 30 – 40 Mbps. The updated version that came in 2011 provides up to 1 Gbps data rates for fixed stations.
- It operates in the frequency band of 2 GHz to 11 GHz. The bandwidth is dynamically allocated as per user requirements.
- WiMAX uses orthogonal frequency division multiplexing (OFDM) with 256-channels. Mobile WiMAX uses scalable OFDM.
- It uses convolutional codes, particularly Reed – Solomon Codes for forward error correction (FEC) to deal with damaged frames.
Fixed WiMAX was released in 2003. They are for subscriber stations that are stationary in some fixed location. For example, broadband Internet for homes and offices. Fixed WiMAX uses OFDM.
Mobile WiMAX was released in 2005. They are for mobile stations that receive service while they are in motion within the range of WiMAX. For example, a WiMAX equipped vehicle. Mobile WiMAX uses scalable OFDM.
- The 802.11 Physical Layer
- Network Physical Layer
- The Physical Layer of OSI Model
- Explain the services of the physical layer
- EPC Gen 2 Physical Layer
- What is a Physical Layer?
- Explain the functions of a Physical Layer
- What is physical layer coding violation?
- What are the design Issues in the Physical Layer?
- 16-bit microprocessors
- The Bluetooth Radio Layer
- The Computer Network Layer
- Explain the factors influencing physical database design
- What is the need for Physical Security?
- What are the Data Link Layer services provided to the Network Layer?