- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Python Operators Precedence
The following table lists all operators from highest precedence to lowest.
|Sr.No||Operator & Description|
Exponentiation (raise to the power)
|2||~ + -|
Complement, unary plus and minus (method names for the last two are +@ and -@)
|3||* / % //|
Multiply, divide, modulo and floor division
Addition and subtraction
Right and left bitwise shift
Bitwise exclusive `OR' and regular `OR'
|8||<= < > >=|
|9||<> == !=|
|10||= %= /= //= -= += *= **=|
|11||is is not|
is is not
|12||in not in|
|13||not or and|
Operator precedence affects how an expression is evaluated.
For example, x = 7 + 3 * 2; here, x is assigned 13, not 20 because operator * has higher precedence than +, so it first multiplies 3*2 and then adds into 7.
Here, operators with the highest precedence appear at the top of the table, those with the lowest appear at the bottom.
#!/usr/bin/python a = 20 b = 10 c = 15 d = 5 e = 0 e = (a + b) * c / d #( 30 * 15 ) / 5 print "Value of (a + b) * c / d is ", e e = ((a + b) * c) / d # (30 * 15 ) / 5 print "Value of ((a + b) * c) / d is ", e e = (a + b) * (c / d); # (30) * (15/5) print "Value of (a + b) * (c / d) is ", e e = a + (b * c) / d; # 20 + (150/5) print "Value of a + (b * c) / d is ", e
When you execute the above program it produces the following result −
Value of (a + b) * c / d is 90 Value of ((a + b) * c) / d is 90 Value of (a + b) * (c / d) is 90 Value of a + (b * c) / d is 50
- Java Operators Precedence
- Perl Operators Precedence
- Operators Precedence in C++
- What is correct operators precedence in Python?
- C++ Operators with Precedence and Associativity
- Can we change operator precedence in Python?
- PHP Operator Precedence
- Python Arithmetic Operators
- Python Comparison Operators
- Python Assignment Operators
- Python Bitwise Operators
- Python Logical Operators
- Python Membership Operators
- According to Java Operator precedence, which operator has the highest precedence?
- Division Operators in Python?