- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Power line communications (PLC)
Power line communications (PLC) allows data communications over conductors that are simultaneously used for transmission of electrical power.
PLCs work by adding a modulated carrier signal, formed by superimposing data signal over low frequency power signal. Electrical signals transmit at 50 – 60 Hz, while the data signals transmit in the order of MHz.
PLCs are also known as power line carrier, power line digital subscriber line (PDSL), or power line networking (PLN).
Types of PLC:
Narrowband PLC: They work at lower frequencies of 3-500KHz. Their data rates are low but have high range of several kilometres. They are used in the Smart Grid.
Broadband PLC: They work at high frequencies of 2 – 250MHz and have high data rates of more than 100 Mbps. They are used for short ranges. They are used for home automation.
Applications of Power Lines
Home Networking (LAN): The existing electrical wiring of a home can be used for LAN connection within the home, thus avoiding the need for setting up dedicated network cables. The communicating devices should have an Ethernet port. Ethernet connection is established by plugging in power line adapter into a power outlet.
Broadband over power lines (BPL): It transmits two – way signals between transformers over AC medium voltage electrical distribution wiring, and between transformers and customer outlets over AC low voltage wirings.
In-vehicle network communication: Digital signals are transmitted over direct current battery lines in vehicles.
- Difference between Relay and PLC
- Difference between PLC and DCS
- Fiber Optic Communications
- Differences Between a PLC and an RTU
- Real-Time Communications (RTC)
- Global System for Mobile Communications
- What is Modulation in Wireless Communications?
- Electric Supply System | A.C. Power Supply Scheme & its Single Line Diagram
- What is Decibel Representation for Wireless Communications?
- Importance of Good Communications and Story Telling
- Mobile ip a complete solution for emerging communications
- Path Loss - Solved Numerical Problems from Wireless Communications
- What is Spatial Filtering (Beamforming) in Wireless Communications?
- What are the Standard Organizations for Data Communications?
- How are Spectrum and Bandwidth defined in Wireless Communications?