- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- MS Excel
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
How does the process of fertilisation take place in flowers?
Fertilization is the process in which the nuclei of the female gamete and the male gamete unite together in the ovary of the flower to form a diploid zygote.
In angiosperms, the pollinators land on a flower and pick up pollen on their bodies. Pollinators land on a flower, and some pollen gets stuck on the stigma.
A pollen tube arises from the pollen grains and grows towards the ovules, passing stigma, style, and ovary to fuse with the eggs.
The prime function of the pollen tube is to transport sperm to the ovule where the female egg is present for the process of fertilization.
Therefore, the length of the pollen tube depends on the distance between the upper surface of the stigma and the ovule.
A grain of pollen combines with an ovule. A seed is formed.After fertilization,
(i) the ovary of the flower transforms into fruit, and
(ii) the ovules of the flower develop into seeds.
- Related Articles
- Does Respiration Process Take Place in Each Cell of the Human Body?
- How are fats digested in our bodies? Where does this process take place?
- Where in the lungs does gas exchange take place?
- In which direction does the transfer of heat normally take place?
- Can Place Flowers in C++
- How does locomotion take place in an earthworm and a snail?
- Does photosynthesis take place during a rainy day?
- How did the formation of oceans take place?
- In a convex mirror, how does image formation of the Object always above the principal axis take place?
- (a) Explain the term 'fertilisation'.(b) Give some examples of different modes of fertilisation in nature?(c) What type of fertilisation takes place in (i) fish, and (ii) birds?
- (a) How does chemical coordination take place in human beings?(b) Why is the use of iodised salt advisable?
- When a candle burns, both physical and chemical changes take place. Identify these changes. Give another example of familiar process in which both the chemical and physical changes take place.
- What is translocation? How it take place in the plants?
- When a candle burns, both physical and chemical changes take place. Identify these changes. Give another example of a familiar process in which both the chemical and physical changes take place.
- How does the process of photosynthesis happen?