- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
How were the trekkers of Kurangani hills saved?
Kurangani hills are the most famous trekking spot in Theni district and have got multiple trekking trails for adventurous trekking and exotic tourism. People from all over the world come here for having an adventurous trip.
But recently, when one such group of trekkers, about 27 people from Chennai and nearly a dozen people from Erode and Tirupur went for trekking to the Kurangani hills, a forest fire broke out with engulfing flames. The group which set out trekking to mark the Women’s day had to face a terrible time on the hills.
A brave act by Vijayalakshmi
Out of nearly 39 people from the team of trekkers, a lady named Vijayalakshmi ran frantically putting her best efforts to reach the nearby village with whose help, she rescued 30 people, from those dangerous flames.
Unfortunately, out of those 39 people, nine people of whom four were men, four women and a child were burnt to death when trapped in that massive fire. Of the rescued people, 10 of them suffered minor injuries while eight people suffered severe injuries.
Later on, the Tamilnadu fire and forest department officials joined for the rescue who was also accompanied by Indian Air Force following the orders of Nirmala Sitharaman, the central defence minister. “16 guards walked up and reached there at 3 am. They rescued a few people at night. At the moment, the guards are trying to lift the dead bodies to a higher plain. Two helicopters will bring the bodies down. One helicopter has doused the fire” she said.
Theni District collector Mariam Pallavi Baldev responded that night saying, “A total of 37 people in two separate groups reached Kolukkumalai for trekking on Saturday. They camped in an estate and were returning when the fire broke out in the forest. 15 people have sustained burn injuries”.
The trekkers who had been rescued are being treated for injuries at the government hospital in Bodinayakanur in the Theni district in southern Tamilnadu, as confirmed by the Tamilnadu state health minister C. Vijayabhaskar.
According to Baldev, the officials of forest, fire, police, medical and rescue teams had gone to Kurangani hills to assist the local tribes and employees of nearby tea estates who were helping them, where the team of Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) personnel also involved in these rescue operations.
- Related Articles
- It was estimated that because of people switching to Metro trains, about 33000 tonnes of CNG, 3300 tonnes of diesel and 21000 tonnes of petrol was saved by the end of the year 2007. Find the fraction of:(i) the quantity of diesel saved to the quantity of petrol saved. (ii) the quantity of diesel saved to the quantity of CNG saved.
- How to get a saved object in MongoDB?
- How to view saved Rdata file in windows?
- FabricJS – How to exclude Line object from being saved while using JSON.stringify()?
- 8649 person were sitting in an auditorium in such a manner that there were as many person in the row as there were rows in the auditorium. How many peson were there in each row of the auditorium
- Where is the MySQL database gets saved when it is created?
- How can Keras be used to reload a fresh model from the saved model using Python?
- What were the ideals of French Revolution?
- What were the limitations of Dobereiner’s classification?
- How to create a new object and get its saved object in MongoDB?
- How to exclude Text object from being saved while using JSON.stringify() in FabricJS?
- A man saved Rs. 16500 in ten years. In each year after the first he saved Rs. 100 more than he did in the preceding year. How much did he save in the first year?
- Who Were The Mughals?
- How to use Boto3 to get the secret keys saved as plain text from AWS Secret Manager
- What were the limitations of Newlands’ law of octaves?