- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
How to specify the file path in a tkinter filedialog?
Tkinter offers several built-in functions and class library methods to build components and user-actionable items of an application. filedialog is one of the tkinter modules that provides classes and library functions to create file/directory selection windows. You can use filedialog where you need to ask the user to browse a file or a directory from the system.
You can also specify the location of the directory from where a particular file should be picked up. To display the filedialog that starts from a particular location, use the initialdir = <location> argument in the static factory function askopenfilename(initialdir=<location>). This function creates a modal-like dialogbox and waits for the user's selection and returns the value of the selected file to the caller.
Let us create an application which asks the user to select a file from the system directory.
# Import required libraries from tkinter import * from tkinter import filedialog from tkinter import ttk # Create an instance of tkinter window win = Tk() win.geometry("700x350") # Create an instance of style class style=ttk.Style(win) def open_win_diag(): # Create a dialog box file=filedialog.askopenfilename(initialdir="C:/") f=open(win.file, 'r') # Create a label widget label=Label(win, text= "Click the button to browse the file", font='Arial 15 bold') label.pack(pady= 20) # Create a button to open the dialog box button=ttk.Button(win, text="Open", command=open_win_diag) button.pack(pady=5) win.mainloop()
Running the above code will display a window that contains two widgets.
The button widget triggers the file dialog box, asking the user to browse the file from the system.
We have specified "initialdir=C:/" in the askopenfilename() function. Hence, it opens the C Drive as the initial directory.
- How to get a string from a tkinter filedialog in Python 3?
- How to get the absolute path of a file using tkFileDialog(Tkinter)?
- Specify a path for a file or a directory in Java
- How to specify where a Tkinter window should open?
- How to get the file name from the file path in Python?
- How to get left substring in MySQL from a column with file path? Display the entire file path string excluding the file name?
- How to get file name from a path in PHP?
- How to Specify the Path to save Newman report on Jenkins using Postman?
- Specify the dimensions of a Tkinter text box in pixels
- How to extract a part of the file path (a directory) in Python?
- How do we specify the buffer size when opening a file in Python?
- How to get the last dirname/filename in a file path argument in Bash?
- How to give Tkinter file dialog focus?
- Get the Full Path of a File in Linux
- How to open multiple filenames in Tkinter and add the file names to a list?