- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
How to get a string from a tkinter filedialog in Python 3?
To interact with the filesystem in a tkinter application, you can use the Tkinter filedialog module. It provides a way to deal with the files in the system. The filedialog module offers many built-in functions to help developers create a variety of file dialogs for the application. You can use any of the filedialog functions in order to implement a dialog in your application.
The most commonly used function is filedialog.askopenfilename() which generally creates a dialog asking the user to open a file in the given program interface.
Suppose we want to get a string or the filename which we open using the filedialog function. We can use the Label widget to display the filename we will open using the function. The following application can be used to open any type of file.
# Import required libraries from tkinter import * from tkinter import filedialog # Create an instance of tkinter window win = Tk() win.geometry("700x300") # Create a dialog using filedialog function win.filename=filedialog.askopenfilename(initialdir="C:/", title="Select a file") # Create a label widget label=Label(win, text="The File you have selected is: " + win.filename, font='Courier 11 bold') label.pack() win.mainloop()
Running the above code will display a dialog asking the user to select a file from the C Drive.
Upon selecting a file, it will display the filepath on the window.
- How to specify the file path in a tkinter filedialog?
- How to get the input from a Checkbox in Python Tkinter?
- How to get integer values from a string in Python?
- How to get a Popup Dialog in Tkinter/Python?
- How can we get substring from a string in Python?
- How to delete lines from a Python tkinter canvas?
- How to exit from Python using a Tkinter Button?
- How to return a JSON object from a Python function in Tkinter?
- How to get a horizontal scrollbar in Tkinter?
- How to get a variable name as a string in Python?
- How to get a function name as a string in Python?
- How to get parameters from a URL string in PHP?
- How to create a borderless fullscreen application using Python-3 Tkinter?
- Tkinter-How to get the current date to display in a tkinter window?
- How to get the length of a string in Python?