- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
How do bats use sound to locate their prey?
Bats are mammals which use sound ways to locate their prey. They do so by a scientific technique called 'Echolocation'. This is because they are nocturnal mammals that have weak eyesight. They use their ears more than any other mammal.
It is defined as the use of sound waves and echoes to determine the location of objects in space. Bats use this mechanism for finding their food. Just as SONAR (Sound Navigation and Ranging) is used in case of big ships, and tanks, similarly, the emission of sound waves helps bat catch its prey.
Bats use ultrasonic waves (20 to 200 kilohertz) to catch their prey.
Most bats produce a complicated sequence of calls, combining Constant Frequencies and Modulating frequency components. Their sounds are reflected in the environment, hitting various objects and returning to the bat as echoes.
The echo signals enable the bat to judge the whereabouts of the surroundings and form some sort of mental image of it. Now, in order to reach its prey (about which a mental image has already been formed), bats continuously hurl and glide in curved flight trajectories, using large movements to propel themselves.
Not only a vague judgment exists, but Bats have some navigational ability to measure how fast the flight angle is changing as they approach their targeted prey also.
SONAR is used in case of submarines, echolocation, on the other hand, is used by bats to catch its prey. SONAR is used in water bodies, while Bat uses echolocation in the open air.
Thus, these nocturnal creatures are bestowed with inherent qualities by nature which help them catch their prey with nearly accurate exact measurements even if they have weak eyesight.
- How do I add Vibrate and sound for Notification in Android?
- How do plants make their own food?
- How do companies organize their finance functions?
- What is the use of LOCATE() function in MySQL?
- How to play an android notification sound?
- Why do companies buyback their shares?
- How to play sound using SoundPool in Kotlin?
- Why do adult children hurt their parents without realizing their true love?
- How to locate a particular module in Python?
- How to use C# do while loop?
- How do successful people build up their image at work?
- How to play ringtone/alarm/notification sound in Android?
- How to play Beep sound through Console in C#?
- To what percentage humans are able to use their brain?
- Why do the parents in their old age become a burden for their children?