- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
How can SciPy be used to calculate the eigen values and eigen vectors of a matrix in Python?
Eigen vectors and Eigen values find their uses in many situations. The word ‘Eigen’ in German means ‘own’ or ‘typical’. An Eigen vector is also known as a ‘characteristic vector’. Suppose we need to perform some transformation on a dataset but the given condition is that the direction of data in the dataset shouldn’t change. This is when Eigen vectors and Eigen values can be used.
Given a square matrix (a matrix where the number of rows is equal to the number of columns), an Eigen value and an Eigen vector fulfil the below equation.
Eigen vectors are computed after finding the Eigen values.
Note − Eigen values work well with dimensions 3 or greater as well.
Instead of manually perfroming these mathematical computations, SciPy provides a function in the library called ‘eig’ which helps compute the Eigenvalue and the Eigenvector.
Syntax of ‘eig’ function
Let us see how the ‘eig’ function can be used −
from scipy import linalg import numpy as np my_arr = np.array([[5,7],[11,3]]) eg_val, eg_vect = linalg.eig(my_arr) print("The Eigenvalues are :") print(eg_val) print("The Eigenvectors are :") print(eg_vect)
The Eigenvalues are : [12.83176087+0.j -4.83176087+0.j] The Eigenvectors are : [[ 0.66640536 -0.57999285] [ 0.74558963 0.81462157]]
- The required libraries are imported.
- A matrix is defined with certain values in it, using the Numpy library.
- The matrix is passed as a parameter to the ‘eig’ function that computes the eigenvalues and the eigenvectors of the matrix.
- These computed data is stored in two different variables.
- This output is displayed on the console.
- How can SciPy be used to calculate the inverse of a matrix in Python?
- How can SciPy be used to calculate the determinant value of a matrix in Python?
- How can SciPy be used to calculate the permutations and combination values in Python?
- How can SciPy be used to calculate the cube root of values and exponential values in Python?
- How can Tensorflow be used to sum specific elements/rows of a matrix in Python?
- Explain how the minimum of a scalar function can be found in SciPy using Python?
- How can discrete Fourier transform be performed in SciPy Python?
- How can Tensorflow and Python be used to verify the CIFAR dataset?
- Which linear function of SciPy is used to solve the circulant matrix equation?
- How to find the Eigenvalues and Eigenvectors of a square matrix using SciPy?
- Which linear function of SciPy is used to solve a banded matrix equation?
- How can Tensorflow and Python be used to download and prepare the CIFAR dataset?
- How to solve a circulant matrix equation using Python SciPy?
- What is SciPy in Python? Explain how it can be installed, and its applications?
- Which linear function of SciPy is used to solve triangular matrix equations?