- Python Basic Tutorial
- Python - Home
- Python - Overview
- Python - Environment Setup
- Python - Basic Syntax
- Python - Comments
- Python - Variables
- Python - Data Types
- Python - Operators
- Python - Decision Making
- Python - Loops
- Python - Numbers
- Python - Strings
- Python - Lists
- Python - Tuples
- Python - Dictionary
- Python - Date & Time
- Python - Functions
- Python - Modules
- Python - Files I/O
- Python - Exceptions
- Python Advanced Tutorial
- Python - Classes/Objects
- Python - Reg Expressions
- Python - CGI Programming
- Python - Database Access
- Python - Networking
- Python - Sending Email
- Python - Multithreading
- Python - XML Processing
- Python - GUI Programming
- Python - Further Extensions
How can SciPy be used to calculate the determinant value of a matrix in Python?
The determinant value can be calculated on a matrix or on an array that has more than one dimension.
It may sometimes be required to understand the marix/array better. This is where the determinant operation would be needed.
SciPy offers a function named ‘det’ that is present in the ‘linalg’ class which is short for ‘Linear Algebra’.
Syntax of ‘det’ function
The ‘matrix’ is the parameter that is passed to the ‘det’ function to find its determinant value.
This function can be called by passing the matrix/array as an argument.
In the above picture, assume that ‘a’, ‘b’, ‘c’ and ‘d’ are numeric values of a matrix. The determinant is calculated by finding the difference between the product of ‘a’, ‘d’ and ‘b’,’c’.
Let us see how it can be done.
from scipy import linalg import numpy as np two_d_matrix = np.array([ [7, 9], [33, 8] ]) print("The determinant value of the matrix is :") print(linalg.det(two_d_matrix ))
The determinant value of the matrix is : -241.0
- The required libraries are imported.
- A matrix is defined with certain values in it.
- Parameters are passed to the ‘det’ function that computes the determinant value of the matrix.
- The function is called.
- This output is displayed on the console.
- Related Articles
- How can SciPy be used to calculate the inverse of a matrix in Python?
- How can SciPy be used to calculate the eigen values and eigen vectors of a matrix in Python?
- How can SciPy be used to calculate the permutations and combination values in Python?
- How can SciPy be used to calculate the cube root of values and exponential values in Python?
- Finding determinant of a square matrix using SciPy library
- How can Tensorflow be used to sum specific elements/rows of a matrix in Python?
- PyTorch – How to compute the determinant of a square matrix?
- Determinant of a Matrix in C++?
- Python Program to find out the determinant of a given special matrix
- How can discrete Fourier transform be performed in SciPy Python?
- Explain how the minimum of a scalar function can be found in SciPy using Python?
- How to solve a circulant matrix equation using Python SciPy?
- Determinant of a Matrix in C++ Program
- C++ Program to Compute Determinant of a Matrix
- How to solve triangular matrix equations using Python SciPy?