- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
How can BeautifulSoup package be used to parse data from a webpage in Python?
BeautifulSoup is a third party Python library that is used to parse data from web pages. It helps in web scraping, which is a process of extracting, using, and manipulating the data from different resources.
Web scraping can also be used to extract data for research purposes, understand/compare market trends, perform SEO monitoring, and so on.
The below line can be run to install BeautifulSoup on Windows −
pip install beautifulsoup4
Let us see an example −
import requests from bs4 import BeautifulSoup from urllib.request import urlopen import urllib url = 'https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algorithm' html = urlopen(url).read() print("Reading the webpage...") soup = BeautifulSoup(html, features="html.parser") print("Parsing the webpage...") for script in soup(["script", "style"]): script.extract() # rip it out print("Extracting text from the webpage...") text = soup.get_text() print("Data cleaning...") lines = (line.strip() for line in text.splitlines()) chunks = (phrase.strip() for line in lines for phrase in line.split(" ")) text = '\n'.join(chunk for chunk in chunks if chunk) text = str(text) print(text)
Reading the webpage... Parsing the webpage... Extracting text from the webpage... Data cleaning... Recursive C implementation of Euclid's algorithm from the above flowchart Recursion A recursive algorithm is one that invokes (makes reference to) itself repeatedly until a certain condition (also known as termination condition) matches, which is a method common to functional programming…. ….. Developers Statistics Cookie statement
The required packages are imported, and aliased.
The website is defined.
The url is opened, and the ‘script’ tag and other irrelevant HTML tags are removed.
The ‘get_text’ function is used to extract text from the webpage data.
The extra spaces and invalid words are eliminated.
The text is printed on the console.
- How can titles from a webpage be extracted using BeautifulSoup?
- How can BeautifulSoup package be used to extract the name of the domain of the website in Python?
- How can BeautifulSoup be used to extract ‘href’ links from a website?
- How can I parse a website using Selenium and Beautifulsoup in python?
- How can Tensorflow be used to visualize the data using Python?
- How can Tensorflow be used to standardize the data using Python?
- How can factorplot be used in Seaborn to visualize data in Python?
- How can Tensorflow be used to display sample data from abalone dataset?
- How can scikit learn library be used to preprocess data in Python?
- How can scikit-learn library be used to load data in Python?
- How can FacetGrid be used to visualize data in Python Seaborn Library?
- How can TensorFlow be used to preprocess Fashion MNIST data in Python?
- How can Tensorflow be used to load the csv data from abalone dataset?
- How can Tensorflow be used to visualize the augmented data from the dataset?
- How can the countplot be used to visualize data in Python Seaborn Library?