- Cryptography with Python Tutorial
- Double Strength Encryption
- Python Overview and Installation
- Reverse Cipher
- Caesar Cipher
- ROT13 Algorithm
- Transposition Cipher
- Encryption of Transposition Cipher
- Decryption of Transposition Cipher
- Encryption of files
- Decryption of files
- Base64 Encoding & Decoding
- XOR Process
- Multiplicative Cipher
- Affine Ciphers
- Hacking Monoalphabetic Cipher
- Simple Substitution Cipher
- Testing of Simple Substitution Cipher
- Decryption of Simple Substitution Cipher
- Python Modules of Cryptography
- Understanding Vignere Cipher
- Implementing Vignere Cipher
- One Time Pad Cipher
- Implementation of One Time Pad Cipher
- Symmetric & Asymmetric Cryptography
- Understanding RSA Algorithm
- Creating RSA Keys
- RSA Cipher Encryption
- RSA Cipher Decryption
- Hacking RSA Cipher
- Useful Resources
- Quick Guide
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Cryptography with Python - Overview
Cryptography is the art of communication between two users via coded messages. The science of cryptography emerged with the basic motive of providing security to the confidential messages transferred from one party to another.
Cryptography is defined as the art and science of concealing the message to introduce privacy and secrecy as recognized in information security.
Terminologies of Cryptography
The frequently used terms in cryptography are explained here −
The plain text message is the text which is readable and can be understood by all users. The plain text is the message which undergoes cryptography.
Cipher text is the message obtained after applying cryptography on plain text.
The process of converting plain text to cipher text is called encryption. It is also called as encoding.
The process of converting cipher text to plain text is called decryption. It is also termed as decoding.
The diagram given below shows an illustration of the complete process of cryptography −
Characteristics of Modern Cryptography
The basic characteristics of modern cryptography are as follows −
It operates on bit sequences.
It uses mathematical algorithms for securing the information.
It requires parties interested in secure communication channel to achieve privacy.