- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- MS Excel
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Correct the definitions of certain terms given below by changing only one word.
(i) Compost: Substances converted into manure for use in industries.
(ii) Lanfill: Garbage buried under water in an area.
(iii) Recycling: Reuse of unused material in the same or another form.
(i) Compost: It is a process in which substances are converted into manure for use in agricultural fields.
(ii) Landfill: It is a process in which garbage is buried under the soil in an area.
(iii) Recycling: It is a process in which used materials are reused in the same or another form.
The garbage containing plant and animal wastes, and waste food, when left as such in pits or heaps, is acted upon by bacteria, fungus-like organisms, causing rotting.
Rotting leads to the formation of manure. It is the conversion of complex molecules into simple molecules that can be used by plants for growth and development. Thus, the rotting and conversion of some organic materials into manure is called composting.
Vermicomposting is the method of preparing compost with the help of redworms or earthworms.
A landfill is an area where a lot of garbage is collected, spread out, and covered with soil.]
- Related Articles
- Name the process by which plant material (or vegetation) buried deep under the earth was slowly converted into coal.
- The steps required for conversion of kitchen garbage into manure are given below in a jumbled formPut garbage in a pit.Cover the bottom of the pit with sand.Cover the pit loosely with a gunny bag or grass.Add worms.Which of the following shows the correct sequence of the above steps?(a) (ii); (i); (iii); (iv)(b) (i); (ii); (iii); (iv)(c) (ii); (iv); (i); (iii)(d) (iv); (i); (ii); (iii)
- Which of the following statements are true for pure substances?Pure substances contain only one kind of particlesPure substances may be compounds or mixturesPure substances have the same composition throughoutPure substances can be exemplified by all elements other than nickel(a) (i) and (ii)(b) (i) and (iii)(c) (iii) and (iv) (d) (ii) and (iii)
- Some definitions are given below which can be corrected by changing one word. Correct them.(a) Aquifer is groundwater stored between layers of hard rock above the water table.(b) The process of evaporation of water in the ground is called infiltration.(c) The evaporation of water from oceans and its arrival back into oceans is called vapour cycle.
- Put a tick () against the garbage items given in Table 16.1 which could be converted into manure. Put a cross () against the others.
- Convert the string into palindrome string by changing only one character in C++
- Given below are some adaptive features of animals:(i) Layer of fat under the skin(ii) Long, curved and sharp claws(iii) Slippery body(iv) Thick white fur Which of them are the adaptive features of a polar bear?(a) (i) only(b) (i) and (ii) only(c) (i), (ii) and (iii) only(d) (i), (ii) and (iv) only
- Which one of the following is not responsible for water shortage?(i) Rapid growth of industries(ii) Increasing population(iii) Heavy rainfall(iv) Mismanagement of water resources
- Which of the following statements are correct?(i) pyruvate can be converted into ethanol and carbon dioxide by yeast (ii) fermentation takes place in the case of aerobic bacteria (iii) fermentation takes place in mitochondria (iv) fermentation is a form of anaerobic respiration (a) (i) and (iii) (b) (ii) and (iv) (c) (i) and (iv) (d) (ii) and (iii)
- Which of the following are the correct characteristics of isotopes of an element?(i) same atomic mass(ii) same atomic number(iii) same physical properties(iv) same chemical properties(a) (i), (ii) and (iv)(b) (ii), (iii) and (iv)(c) (ii) and (iii)(d) (ii) and (iv)
- To what use can you put the following kinds of garbage and how?(i) Rotting smelly garbage(ii) Dry leaves collected in a garbage(iii) Old newspapers
- Consider the list of terms given below:$(i)$. Tsunami $(ii)$. Landslides$(iii)$. Floods $(iv)$. LightningEarthquakes can cause$(a)$. $(i)$, $(ii)$ and $(iii)$ $(b)$. $(ii)$ and $(iv)$ $(c)$. $(ii)$, $(iii)$ and $(iv)$ $(d)$. $(iii)$ and $(iv)$
- Which one of the following depicts the correct representation of the atomic radius(r) of an atom?(i) and (ii)(ii) and (iii)(iii) and (iv)(i) and (iv)"
- Which of the following are not the liquid forms of water?SnowLake waterRiver waterWater vapourIceChoose the correct combination from the options below.(a) (i), (iv) and (v)(b) (i) and (ii)(c) (ii) and (iii)(d) (iv) only
- The steps involved in observing a slide under a microscope are given below. They are not in proper sequence.I. Focus the object under high power of the microscope.II. Place the slide on the stage of the microscope.III. Arrange the mirror to reflect maximum light to the slide.IV. Focus the object under low power of the microscope.The proper sequence of steps is(a) II, III, IV, I (b) I, II, III, IV(c) IV, III, II, I (d) III, I, II, IV