- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Can the new Edible water bottle replace plastic bottles in the future?
Since a few decades, plastic is rapidly affecting the environment in a drastic way and if doesn’t get stopped will eventually engulf mankind with its venomous waste. As the need for bio-degradable products is alarming, experiments are taking place to replace plastic.
The plastic water bottles that are being used now take at least 450 years to decompose, while PET bottles are almost non-biodegradable and are resulting in billions of pounds of plastic waste in landfills, beaches, roadsides, and waterbodies.
Working for Solution
Some scientists are working on it to develop not only a bio-degradable but also an edible water bottle that have the capability to replace the plastic water bottles in the future. This is said to be made from seaweed or algae and the calcium-chloride based membrane that suits human consumption.
The Skipping Rocks Lab has developed a blob-like water bottle made from Sodium Alginate gel, which is actually edible and encloses only a small volume of water in it. Its inner membrane is made of brown algae and calcium chloride. This is named as “Ooho” by its creators.
This Ooho created by Skipping Rocks lab scientists is gelatinous, double-membrane sphere manufactured by a process called as Spherification. This is made by dropping ice into separate solutions of calcium salt and sodium alginate, to make a sphere like structure where only a small amount of water can be filled to store.
Is It A Solution?
For the existing conditions, where plastic has to be avoided, this bio-degradable and an edible water bottle can be a good solution. This has to be developed and tested further under different climatic conditions before we can use it.
- From a business perspective, what can be done with used plastic bottles?
- What is a robonaut? Can it replace astronauts in the future?
- Program to find maximum how many water bottles we can drink in Python
- How can you use plastic without harming the environment?
- How is drinking water from a copper bottle or any other copper vessel healthy?
- How Online Education Can Prepare Students For The Future?
- Beer Bottles in C++
- Do you think robots will replace jobs in near future?
- The Future of Cloud Computing
- How can MySQL find and replace the data with REPLACE() function to UPDATE the table?
- How would be the marriages in future?
- What is the future for Bootstrap?
- What is plastic pollution and its effect on the environment?
- How marriages will be celebrated in the future?
- Will virtual marriages be possible in the future?