- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- MS Excel
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Advantages of using Loadable Kernel Modules
Loadable kernel modules in an operating system is an object file that contains code to extend the running kernel, which is also known as the base kernel. The loadable kernel modules are used to add support for file systems, hardware, system calls etc.
A figure that shows the loadable modules of the operating system is as follows −
Advantage of Loadable Kernel Modules
An operating system would have to include all the systems that provided all anticipated functionalities in the base kernel if there were no loadable modules. This would lead to wastage of memory as most of those systems would not be used often.
Also, the users would need to rebuild and reboot the base kernel every time they would require a new functionality.
Disadvantage of Loadable Kernel Modules
The fragmentation penalty is a major disadvantage of loadable modules in the kernel. This means that every time a new kernel module code is inserted, the kernel becomes fragmented. This leads to a performance penalty because of more TLB misses.
- Related Articles
- Solaris OS Loadable Modules
- Loadable Modules Architecture of the Operating System
- How do modules improve monolithic and micro kernel approaches?
- What are the advantages of Modules in Java 9?
- Programs Using Interface Modules
- Advantages of using MySQLi over MySQL?
- Advantages of using packages in Java
- What are advantages of using JSP?
- Name Some Advantages of Using Swift
- Kernel Data Structures
- What are the advantages of using Cucumber?
- Advantages of using JNA over process execution
- How to plot a kernel density plot of dates in Pandas using Matplotlib?
- Actions taken by a kernel to context-switch between kernel-level threads.
- What is the concept of Monolithic kernel?