- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
What is a regular expression in Python?
In simple words, a regular expression is a sequence of character(s) mainly used to find and replace patterns in a string or file. They are supported by most of the programming languages like python, perl, R, Java and so on.
Regular expressions are very useful in extracting information from text such as code, log files, spreadsheets, or even documents. We deal more with the practical uses of regular expressions.
The first thing to know when using regular expressions is that everything is basically a character, and we write patterns to match a specific sequence of characters (also known as a string). Most patterns use normal ASCII, which includes letters, digits, punctuation and other symbols on computer keyboards like %#$@!, but unicode characters can also be used to match any type of international text.
In Python, there is a module “re” that works on regular expressions. So you need to import library re before you can use regular expressions in Python.
The most common uses of regular expressions are:
Search a string (search and match)
Finding a string (findall)
Break string into a sub strings (split)
Replace part of a string (sub)
- What does “?:” mean in a Python regular expression?
- What is Raw String Notation in Python regular expression?
- What is regular expression in Java?
- What are regular expression repetition cases in Python?
- Regular Expression Modifiers in Python
- Regular Expression Patterns in Python
- Regular Expression Examples in Python
- Regular Expression Matching in Python
- What is the Python regular expression to check if a string is alphanumeric?
- Regular Expression in Python with Examples?
- What are repeating character classes used in Python regular expression?
- How regular expression modifiers work in Python?
- How regular expression grouping works in Python?
- How regular expression alternatives work in Python?
- What Python regular expression can be used in place of string.replace?