Uses of Computer Networks
Computer networks have become invaluable to organizations as well as individuals. Some of its main uses are as follows −
- Information and Resource Sharing − Computer networks allow organizations having units which are placed apart from each other, to share information in a very effective manner. Programs and software in any computer can be accessed by other computers linked to the network. It also allows sharing of hardware equipment, like printers and scanners among varied users.
- Retrieving Remote Information − Through computer networks, users can retrieve remote information on a variety of topics. The information is stored in remote databases to which the user gains access through information systems like the World Wide Web.
- Speedy Interpersonal Communication − Computer networks have increased the speed and volume of communication like never before. Electronic Mail (email) is extensively used for sending texts, documents, images, and videos across the globe. Online communications have increased by manifold times through social networking services.
- E-Commerce − Computer networks have paved way for a variety of business and commercial transactions online, popularly called e-commerce. Users and organizations can pool funds, buy or sell items, pay bills, manage bank accounts, pay taxes, transfer funds and handle investments electronically.
- Highly Reliable Systems − Computer networks allow systems to be distributed in nature, by the virtue of which data is stored in multiple sources. This makes the system highly reliable. If a failure occurs in one source, then the system will still continue to function and data will still be available from the other sources.
- Cost–Effective Systems − Computer networks have reduced the cost of establishment of computer systems in organizations. Previously, it was imperative for organizations to set up expensive mainframes for computation and storage. With the advent of networks, it is sufficient to set up interconnected personal computers (PCs) for the same purpose.
- VoIP − VoIP or Voice over Internet protocol has revolutionized telecommunication systems. Through this, telephone calls are made digitally using Internet Protocols instead of the regular analog phone lines.
Published on 13-Jul-2018 11:09:55