- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Object-relational Data Model
102 Lectures 7.5 hours
152 Lectures 16 hours
An Object relational model is a combination of a Object oriented database model and a Relational database model. So, it supports objects, classes, inheritance etc. just like Object Oriented models and has support for data types, tabular structures etc. like Relational data model.
One of the major goals of Object relational data model is to close the gap between relational databases and the object oriented practises frequently used in many programming languages such as C++, C#, Java etc.
History of Object Relational Data Model
Both Relational data models and Object oriented data models are very useful. But it was felt that they both were lacking in some characteristics and so work was started to build a model that was a combination of them both. Hence, Object relational data model was created as a result of research that was carried out in the 1990’s.
Advantages of Object Relational model
The advantages of the Object Relational model are −
The Object Relational data model allows its users to inherit objects, tables etc. so that they can extend their functionality. Inherited objects contains new attributes as well as the attributes that were inherited.
Complex Data Types
Complex data types can be formed using existing data types. This is useful in Object relational data model as complex data types allow better manipulation of the data.
The functionality of the system can be extended in Object relational data model. This can be achieved using complex data types as well as advanced concepts of object oriented model such as inheritance.
Disadvantages of Object Relational model
The object relational data model can get quite complicated and difficult to handle at times as it is a combination of the Object oriented data model and Relational data model and utilizes the functionalities of both of them.
- Relational Data Model
- Relational Database Model
- Object-oriented Data Model
- Converting E-R model into relational model
- Explain the Relational Model in DBMS?
- Difference Between E-R Model and Relational Model in DBMS
- Explain the object oriented data model in DBMS?
- What is Multi-relational Data Mining?
- How to traverse Data Object Model (DOM) nodes using jQuery?
- Hierarchical Data Model
- Network Data Model
- Django model object hit counting
- Comparison between E-R Model and Object Oriented Model
- How to map the JSON data with Jackson Object Model in Java?
- How to extract XML data for relational use?