Copyright © 2014 by tutorialspoint
Businesses inevitably talk to each other in a variety of ways. Some time back, even till now many large companies communicate automatically through EDI, which allows two companies to communicate using predetermined signals.
The trouble with EDI (Electronic Data Interchange ) is that it is very expensive and originally it was created for the mainframe world. Now ebXML is replacing EDI.
What is ebXML ?
- ebXML stands for Electronic Business Extensible Markup Language.
- ebXML is Global Standard for electronic business.
- ebXML is an end-to-end B2B XML Framework.
- ebXML is a set of specifications that together enable a modular framework.
- ebXML enables anyone, anywhere to do business with anyone else over the Internet.
- ebXML relies on the Internet's existing standards such as HTTP, TCP/IP, MIME, SMTP, FTP, UML, and XML.
- ebXML can be implemented and deployed on virtually any computing platform.
- ebXML provides concrete specifications to enable dynamic B2B collaborations.
ebXML is designed to create a global electronic market place where enterprises of any size, anywhere can:
- Find each other electronically.
- Conduct Business -
- Using exchange of XML messages
- According to standard business process sequences.
- With clear business semantics.
- Using off the shelf purchased business applications.
- According to mutually agreed trading partner protocol agreements.
Why ebXML ?
- Existing B2B Frameworks are not adequate:
- EDI and RosettaNet are too heavy-weight and too rigid.
- BizTalk is proprietary, single-vendor, single-platform.
- SOAP, WSDL and UDDI alone are not adequate:
- WSDL does not address business collaboration
- SOAP in its basic form does not provide secure and reliable message delivery
- UDDI does not provide repository capability for business objects.
- Need for standardizing business collaboration to address the followings:
- What are the business processes?
- Who are the parties involved in business collaboration? What are their roles?
- What and how do XML documents get exchanged in the business collaborations?
- What are the security, reliability, quality of service requirements of this business collaboration?
- All these are addressed by ebXML.
ebXML is a joint initiative by OASIS and UN/CEFACT.
- Stands for United Nations Centre for Trade Facilitation and Electronic Business.
- Created and maintains the UN/EDIFACT standards for Electronic Data Interchange (EDI).
- Stands for Organization for Advancement of Structured Information Standards.
- Creates and maintains XML interoperability specifications, broad industry support.