- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- MS Excel
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Why are all the deserts located on the western sides of the continents?
We observe that most of the deserts are on the western sides of the continents in the subtropics. These are the results of the prevailing easterly winds of the tropics, which are the trade winds. The trade winds prevail in the lower portion of the earth’s atmosphere, in the lower section of the troposphere.
These winds become dry when they reach the western sides of the continents, and hence don’t bring any rain with them. As these regions become devoid of moisture, deserts are formed.
Why Like That?
The earth rotates on the East side. Moving air is deflected by the Earth’s rotation. Air in the tropical regions moves in the direction of the equator, while air in the northern hemisphere deflects towards right and southern towards left. All this happens according to the Earth’s rotation.
Now, the air that comes from Northern hemisphere when deflects towards west, it turns to the west, geographically. Similarly, the air from Southern hemisphere when deflects towards left, that also turns to the geographic west. Hence the whole air runs towards the west where it slowly loses its moisture travelling the west side.
- Related Articles
- Why deserts are hot in the daytime and chilled at night?
- Non-metals are located on the _____________ side of the Periodic Table.
- Which are the important Australian deserts area wise?
- Choose the correct statement:(a) Genes are located in the chromosomes(b) The cell is located in the nucleus(c) Chromosomes are located in the nucleolus(d) Cell membrane surrounds the nucleus
- A parallelogram whose all sides are equal opposite angles are equal opposite sides are parallel is called a rhombus. Why? Why not square?
- Two sides and the perimeter of one triangle are respectively three times the corresponding sides and the perimeter of the other triangle. Are the two triangles similar? Why?
- Why are buttons on men’s and women’s clothes placed on different sides?
- What is the significance of Western Ghats?
- What types of leaves are found in deserts?
- Say True or False :(a) Each angle of a rectangle is a right angle.(b) The opposite sides of a rectangle are equal in length.(c) The diagonals of a square are perpendicular to one another.(d) All the sides of a rhombus are of equal length.(e) All the sides of a parallelogram are of equal length.(f) The opposite sides of a trapezium are parallel.
- Pastoralists in The Plateaus, Plains and Deserts
- Why are Thermal Power Stations usually located near a river?
- Circles are described on the sides of a triangle as diameters. Prove that the circles on any two sides intersect each other on the third side (or third side produced).
- Why Microsoft Azure Cloud Skills Are All the Rage?