- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Why deserts are hot in the daytime and chilled at night?
It is actually sand, which turns the entire phenomenon hot. Sand cannot hold the heat. It acts like a mirror to the sun. During the daytime, it stays warm, and when the Sun is absent it loses all its heat making the nights colder. There’s nothing in the desert that can either absorb heat from the sun or hold it on the surface when the sun is set.
Days In Desert
The Sun in the desert can reach the zenith due to which the temperature rises up to 100 degrees Fahrenheit during the day. The sand in the desert gets heated up due to this high temperature, but it continues as long as the Sun is high up there. As sand cannot hold the heat for long, it gets cooler as soon as the sun sets.
Summer nights might be little warm but winter nights have temperatures below the freezing point. The heat from the sky gets radiated into space and hence the temperatures plummet to nearly 40 degrees Fahrenheit during night times. The desert animals and reptiles come out during night times.
When it comes to normal places, it is the water vapour and carbon-di-oxide present in the atmosphere that keeps our nights warm. As there are no trees and water in the deserts, there is no source of these to keep the temperature warm.
- Why do the desert plants bloom at night?
- Why are all the deserts located on the western sides of the continents?
- Which are the important Australian deserts area wise?
- Is diary writing a good habit at night?
- Why is it not good to sleep on the stomach for the whole night?
- How can a woman use public transport even at late night and stay safe?
- Hot Standby Mode
- 4 mobile computing trends that are hot right now
- What are the differences between You At 18 and You At 28?
- Why is cricket not played at the Olympics?
- How to help your baby sleep in the night?
- 2017 Hot Job Profiles in Information Technology
- Which are the states in India affected by Naxalites? And why?
- Why are people interested in rumors and gossips?
- Why are lays and kurkure so loved by the youth?