- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- MS Excel
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
What is Perl Programming Language?
Perl is a general-purpose programming language originally developed for text manipulation and now used for a wide range of tasks including system administration, web development, network programming, GUI development, and more.
Perl is a stable, cross-platform programming language.
Though Perl is not officially an acronym few people used it as Practical Extraction and Report Language.
It is used for mission-critical projects in the public and private sectors.
Perl is an Open Source software, licensed under its Artistic License, or the GNU General Public License (GPL).
Perl was created by Larry Wall.
Perl 1.0 was released to Usenet's alt.comp.sources in 1987.
At the time of writing this tutorial, the latest version of Perl was 5.16.2.
Perl is listed in the Oxford English Dictionary.
PC Magazine announced Perl as the finalist for its 1998 Technical Excellence Award in the Development Tool category.
- Related Articles
- What is Programming Language?
- What is Java programming language?
- What is C++ programming language?
- Perl is Interpreted or Compiled Language?
- What are the Applications of Perl Programming?
- What are the Features of Perl Language?
- How is Rust programming language used?
- Is Python the Programming Language Dead?
- What is factors which affect the implementation of programming language?
- What are macros in C programming language?
- Is Python a programming language or simply a scripting language?
- Why C++ is the Best Programming Language?
- Why is Java a Robust Programming Language?
- Why Java is a Secure Programming Language?
- What are the advantages of C++ Programming Language?