- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
What is digital certificate and digital signature?
Let us begin by learning about the digital certificate.
It is basically a certificate issued digitally, issued to verify a user's authenticity i.e., verifying the user sending a message is who he or she claims to be, and also to provide the receiver with the means to encode a reply.
Whoever wants to or an individual who wants to send encrypted messages applies for a digital certificate from a Certificate Authority (CA).
Need of digital certificate
The digital certificate allows entities to share their public key in an authenticated way. They are used in initializing and establishing secure SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) connections between web browsers and web servers.
Given below is a diagram of digital certificate
A digital signature or a digital code which is generated and authenticated by public key encryption is a mathematical scheme verifying the authenticity of digital messages or documents.
A valid digital signature with prerequisites in place ensures a recipient believes the message was indeed created and sent by a known sender thus authenticating him/her, and the message was not modified in transit thus meeting the integrity condition.
The digital signature is based on RSA and public key cryptography which depends on two mutually authenticating cryptographic keys. The creator and the sender creating the digital signature uses his/her own private key to encrypt signature-related data and to decrypt that data the signer's public key is used which is the only key to decrypt it.
Purpose of digital signature
It is attached to an electronically transmitted document verifying its contents and the sender's identity authenticating him. It is used for software distribution, financial transactions, and contract management software.
Given below is the diagram for digital signature −
- Difference Between Digital Signature and Digital Certificate
- Difference Between Digital Signature and Electronic Signature
- What is Digital Signature in information security?
- What is Digital Electronics?
- What is a Digital Footprint?
- What is Analog to Digital Conversion?
- What is Digital Service Unit (DSU)?
- What are Analog and Digital signals?
- How does the IPsec use digital certificates and digital signatures?
- Microcontrollers and Digital Signal Processors
- Digital Circuits and Their Applications
- What is the difference between Electronic signatures and Digital Signatures?
- Digital Subscriber Lines
- Digital Integrated Circuits
- What are unethical digital marketing techniques?