- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
What did the Indus Valley people trade?
Indus Valley Civilization was one of those early urban civilizations that were originated in 2300 BC which was developed in the river basins of Sutlej, Ravi, and Indus. When the archaeologists started exploring this place, many proofs regarding the Harappan culture and Indus Valley trade were found. Historians claim that this was the land of early development where trade and agricultural economy came into existence.
With the rivers surrounding their area, the land was fertile and they used to cultivate many crops such as Barley, Wheat, Melon seeds and oil crops like Sesame, Mustard, and Dates. These were traded by farmers with the other people. Cotton was also cultivated and was traded to make cloth out of it, which was also marketed.
The people of Indus valley civilization knew how to make things from mud and clay. The city workers used to make Pots, Plates, and glasses out of mud and clay to sell them. The traders would bring the materials that workers need and collect the finished goods for trade.
Unearthed ornaments and the accessories made out of Seashells, Pearls, and beads were also traded. The Harappan people even made Terracotta Pots and painted them to trade. Coloured gemstones such as turquoise, lapis and lazuli were also sold by them. Metals and tools made up of flint stones were the main articles traded.
The Harappan people used to trade with foreign lands traveling through seas. The seaports found in Harappan civilization state that they were not bound to their own territories. They had traded with Iran and Afghanistan for Minerals, while Lead and Copper were exported from India. It was found that they also imported Jade from China and Cedarwood which were all traded through the rivers such as Sutlej, Ravi, and Indus.
The hand-made balance for weighing things was also developed at that time and used equal size and weighed stones for measurements. These balances were used to trade the things.
- What is Indus Valley Civilization?
- What were the inventions and discoveries during the Indus Valley Civilization?
- Where are most sites of Indus Valley Civilization located?
- When did people start using edible oils for cooking food? How did people cook food before edible oils are introduced to human food?
- What is Risk-Return Trade-off?
- What are the differences between trade secret and patent?
- How to Trade your cryptocurrency?
- What is the secret of success of companies situated in Silicon Valley, CA?
- How does the commodity trade market work in India?
- What are the situations people sell even their organs?
- What are the stupid questions people have asked online?
- How are Emerging Markets Challenging Silicon Valley
- What are the most popular QA forums for general people?
- Explain trade of equity in capital structure.
- When did the Desert Storm take place?