- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
What are the user and system goals of Operating Systems?
The design of the operating system should be defined by the goals and specifications which are affected by hardware and systems. Thus there would be user goals and system goals for an OS.
The user goals or requirements should be as follows −
The OS usage should be convenient
Should be easy to use and easy to learn
Should be safe and secure to use and information handling, and security should be robust
Should be fast in response to the user requests
The system design requirements should be as follows −
The OS should be easy to design, maintain and also to implement.
Updates should be delivered in an easy way.
Adequate security and privacy should be implemented.
Resource sharing should be enabled for processes.
Should support present software and hardware and should be scalable for future requirements.
Should be backward compatible.
Examples of Operating system
The different electronic gadgets like Laptops, tablets, and desktop computers all run operating systems. Without an operating system they cannot communicate with the hardware parts.
Versions of Microsoft Windows like Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP.
Apple's macOS is generally called OS X.
BlackBerry Tablet OS
Flavours of Linux are an open-source operating system.
Microsoft Windows 10
Nowadays it is the most used operating system. Your smartphone runs a mobile operating system, either Apple's iOS or Google's Android. Generally people won’t think it is an operating system that runs on their gadgets. All desktop or laptop systems are using the Windows 10 operating system mostly.
Microsoft Windows consists of a control panel, a desktop and desktop assistant, disk clean-up, event viewer, and a lot more applications which are help full and acts as an user friendly. Many users prefer Microsoft Windows because they say it’s compatible with many other kinds of software.
- What are operating system design goals?
- Operating System Design Goals
- What are the roles of the user interface and kernel of an operating system?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of operating systems?
- What are the features of Operating Systems?
- What is the user interface and operating system interface?
- What are the different types of Operating Systems?
- What are the roles of embedded operating systems?
- What are the components of 'user interface' of Windows Operating System?
- What are the functions of the operating system?
- What are the different types of Mobile Operating Systems?
- What are operating system services?
- What are system calls in Operating System?
- What is the importance of operating systems?
- What are the different system calls in the operating system?