- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
What are the advantages and disadvantages of operating systems?
Each operating system has its own advantages and disadvantages, let us discuss in general the benefits and drawbacks of operating systems.
The advantages of Operating system are as follows −
Computing Source − OS acts as an interface between the user and the hardware. It allows users to perform different tasks like input data, process the operation, and access the output. With the help of an operating system, users can communicate with computers to perform various functions like arithmetic calculations.
User-Friendly Interface − Whenever the Windows operating system came into existence with Graphical User Interface (GUI), it became user friendly. It also helps the users to quickly understand, interact, and communicate with computer machines.
Resource Sharing − Operating systems allow resource sharing. It shares the data and information with other users with the help of printers, modems, and Fax Machines. With the help of networks we are able to share the information and data via mails and also different apps, images, and media files can be transferred from PC to other devices with the help of an operating system.
No Coding Lines − After the invention of GUI the operating systems are allowed to access hardware without writing programs.
Safeguard of Data − We are able to store more information on the computers and are able to access that information with the help of operating. OS is maintaining safely and securely managing the data.
Software Update − An operating system requires an update so that it can meet the requirements of the users in a day to day life, without complexity the operating system updates its software.
Multitasking − An operating system can handle more than one task simultaneously.
The disadvantages of operating system are as follows −
Expensive − When compared to other platforms like Linux, some operating systems are costly. Users can use a free OS but generally they are a bit more difficult to run than others. Microsoft Windows operating system with GUI and other in-built features carry a costly price.
System Failure − The whole system will be affected if the central operating system fails, and the computer will not work. We know that operating the heart of a computer system without OS the system cannot function. If the central system crashes, the whole communication will be halted, and there will be no further processing of data.
Highly Complex − Operating systems are highly complex, and the language which used to establish these OS are not clear and well defined.
Virus Threats − Threats to the operating systems are higher as they are open to such virus attacks. Many users download malicious software packages on their system which halts the functioning of the OS and slows it down.
Fragmentation − Fragmentation in the computer is a state when storage memory breaks into pieces. Internal fragmentation occurs when the method of process is larger than the memory size. External fragmentation occurs when the method or process is eliminated.
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of four types of operating structures?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of smartphones?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of mergers?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of acquisition?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of Antivirus?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of online shopping?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of Li-Fi?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of data mining?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of Different OS?
- What are the Advantages and Disadvantages of Mutual Funds?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of job costing?
- What are the Advantages and Disadvantages of Regenerative Braking?
- What are the features of Operating Systems?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of not marrying ever?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of Online tutoring sites?