- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- MS Excel
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
What are the types of firewalls in information security?
There are various types of firewalls which are as follows −
Traditional network firewalls − Packet-filtering network firewalls supports essential network protection by helping to avoid unwanted traffic from receiving into the corporate network. They work by using a group of network firewall security rules to decide whether to enable or deny access to the network.
It involves denying entry to some traffic except for traffic destined for definite ports corresponding to specific software running inside the corporate network and enabling or denying access to data using specific protocols or from specific IP addresses.
Circuit-level gateways are another simplified type of firewall that can be simply configured to enable or block traffic without consuming significant computing resources. These types of firewalls generally work at the session-level of the OSI model by checking TCP (Transmission Control Protocol) connections and sessions. Circuit-level gateways are designed to provide that the established sessions are secured.
Generally, circuit-level firewalls are implemented as security application or anticipating firewalls. Like packet-filtering firewalls, these firewalls do not test for real data, although they inspect data about transactions. Thus, if a data includes malware, but follows the proper TCP connection, it will move through the gateway. That is why circuit-level gateways are not treated safe to secure our systems.
Proxy service firewalls − The proxy service firewall is a system that can help secure the network security by filtering messages at the application layer. It essentially serves as a gateway or middle man between the inside network and outside servers on the network. It is also known as a gateway firewall. It is more secure in its use of stateful and deep packet inspection technology to inspect incoming traffic.
Unified threat management (UTM) firewalls − A unified threat management firewall is a program that connect the functions of the SMLI firewall with intrusion avoidance and antivirus. More services like cloud management can be involved under the UTM umbrella of services.
Next-generation firewalls (NGFW) − Next-generation firewalls are more refined than packet-filtering and stateful inspection firewalls. They have higher levels of security, going further standard packet-filtering to inspect a packet in its entirety. It means inspecting not only the packet header, but also a packet’s contents and source. NGFW are able to block more refined and undeveloped security threats like advanced malware.
Network Address Translation (NAT) Firewalls − Network address translation or NAT firewalls are basically designed to access Internet traffic and block some unwanted connections. These types of firewalls generally hide the IP addresses of the devices, creating it safe from attackers.
Cloud Firewalls − Whenever a firewall is created using a cloud solution, it is called a cloud firewall or FaaS (firewall-as-service). Cloud firewalls are generally maintained and run on the internet by third-party vendors. This type of firewall is considered same as a proxy firewall.
- Related Articles
- What is Firewalls in information security?
- What are the types of Information Security?
- What are the types of security mechanism in information security?
- What is Hardware Level Firewalls in information security?
- What are the types of Network in Information Security?
- What are the types of Hashing in Information Security?
- What are the types of Keys in Information Security?
- What are the types of Encryption in Information Security?
- What are the types of Decryption in Information Security?
- What are the types of Authentication in information security?
- What are the types of Cryptosystems in information security?
- What is an Application-level Firewalls in information security?
- What are the types of web services in information security?
- What are the types of memory card in information security?
- What are the types of Intrusion-Detection Systems in information security?