- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
What are the categories Nobel Prizes awarded for?
The Nobel prize was established in the year 1895. The first Nobel prizes were given out in 1901, for chemistry, peace, literature, physics, and medicine. Achievements made before 1980 were made to be struck in 23-carat gold and plated with 24-carat gold coating.
The Nobel prize was established and named after by a Swedish inventor Alfred Nobel.
Alfred Nobel was born on 21 October 1833 in a family of engineers. He was an engineer, chemist, and an inventor. Alfred Nobel earned a fortune during his lifetime, mostly from his inventions which were almost around 355, dynamite being the most famous invention.
The Nobel Prize was started as per the will of Alfred Nobel which was signed at the Swedish - Norwegian club in Paris in November 1895.
Since the advent of awarding the Nobel Prize in 1901, till 2016, the Nobel prize and the prize in economic services were awarded 579 times to 911 people and organizations. Some have received the Nobel prize more than once. So it comes to total 23 organizations and 881 people who received the Nobel prize till today.
This year, the Nobel Laureates will be announced starting on 2 October 2017. This will go on until the 2nd week of October to reveal the scientists, writers and peace workers who have conferred greatest benefit to mankind following the vision of Alfred Nobel. The award ceremony is usually on the 10th of December as it is Alfred Noble’s death anniversary.
The prize ceremony takes place annually in Stockholm, Sweden.
Each recipient, or laureate, receives a gold medal, a diploma, and sum of money that has been decided by the Nobel Foundation.
As of 2017, each prize was about $920,000.
After Alfred Nobel passed away, the Nobel Prizes were under a committee called “The Nobel Foundation”. This manages the accounts, administration, and finances of the Nobel Prize. It was found in 1900.
The Foundation Board consists of five Swedish or Norwegian citizens.
Alfred Nobel has made provision for only five prizes under five categories through his will. The economics prize was added later in his memory. Total six prizes are awarded as Nobel prizes every year:
- Nobel Prize in Physics – Awarded by the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences
- Nobel Prize in Chemistry – Awarded by the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences
- Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine – Awarded by the Karolinska Institute
- Nobel Prize in Literature – Awarded by the Swedish Academy
- Nobel Prize in Peace – Awarded by the Norwegian Nobel Committee
Nobel Memorial Prize in Economics – Awarded by the Sveriges Riksbank, Bank of Sweden.
So far Indians 5 Indians got Noble prizes for their services in the respective fields.
- Rabindranath Tagore – The Nobel Prize in Literature 1913
- CV Raman – The Nobel Prize in Physics 1930
- Mother Teresa – The Nobel Peace Prize 1979
- Amartya Sen – The Sveriges Riksbank Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel 1998
- Kailash Satyarthi – The Nobel Peace Prize 2014.
- What are the interesting facts about the Nobel Prize?
- What are the categories for Hardware and Operating System Platforms?
- What are the different categories of functions in C Programming?
- What are the Three Categories of Risk Attitudes in Finance?
- What are MySQL subqueries and its general categories?
- How to win a Nobel Award?
- How to create density plot for categories in R?
- What are the prerequisites for learning C#?
- What are the prerequisites for learning Java?
- What are the applications for Neural Networks?
- What are the reasons for using EAI?
- What are the evaluations for EAI Solution?
- What are the strategies for cube computation?
- What are Microwaves? What are they used for?
- How to manually set the colors of density plot for categories in R?