- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Second-Generation (2G) Mobile Phones
Second generation (2G) mobile phones switched from analog system of 1G to digital system. It was commercially launched in 1991 as GSM standard in Finland. As with 1G phones, 2G phones didn’t have any worldwide standardizations. 2G systems were also known as personal communications services (PCM).
Advantages of 2G over 1G
It allows voice signals to be digitized and compressed. So, they are more efficient on frequency spectrum than 1G.
They introduced data services for mobile in form of SMS text messaging.
Data and voice signals are digitally encrypted. So, security against eavesdropping and fraud increased manifold.
Digital signals consume less battery power. And so mobile sets are much more energy efficient than their 1G counterparts.
Popular 2G Systems
Several 2G systems were developed, the notable among which are as follows −
D – AMPS (Digital Advanced Mobile Phone Systems) : D-AMPS was a digital version of advanced mobile phone systems (AMPS) that coexisted with AMPS. It used time division multiplexing (TDM) for multiple calls.
GSM (Global System for Mobile Communications) : 2G was launched through GSM. It is the most widely globally used technology. It uses frequency division multiplexing (FDM) and time division multiplexing (TDM) for handling multiple calls simultaneously.
CDMA (Code Division Multiple Access) : It uses a different technology from the above and was standardized by International Standards IS-95.
- First-Generation (1G) Mobile Phones
- Third-Generation (3G) Mobile Phones
- Fourth Generation (4G) Mobile Phones
- What are the evil effects of using mobile phones?
- What features can you expect in mobile phones in 2025?
- Difference between 1G and 2G protocols
- Which is the best site to buy back-covers, flip-covers, and screen guards for mobile phones?
- Know about device tracking for smart phones
- What is the generation gap?
- Random number generation in C++
- Gaussian Filter Generation in C++
- What is Intermediate Code Generation?
- Mobile Databases
- Generation of time delay in 8085
- Wait state generation in 8085 Microprocessor