- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- MS Excel
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Why do we boil the leaf in alcohol when we are testing it for starch?
The iodine test can determine whether or not leaves contain starch (carbohydrate).
Here are the procedures for determining whether or not leaves contain starch:
Step 1: Collect a green leaf from a plant that has been in direct sunlight for at least a few hours.
Step 2: Half-fill a beaker with water and bring it to a boil.
Step 3: Place the leaf in a pot of boiling water and let it sit there for a few minutes to soften the cell wall.
Step 4: Boil the leaf in alcohol to extract the chlorophyll.
Step 5: Immerse the leaf in hot water to loosen its cells.
Step 6: Next, test the leaf for starch by dropping a few drops of iodine solution onto it.
A blue-black hue develops on the leaf once iodine is added, indicating the presence of starch in the sample.
- Related Articles
- Why do we close our eyes when we sneeze?
- If we boil water, will it become air?
- When carrying out the starch test on a leaf, why is it important to boil the leaf in alcohol?(a) to dissolve the waxy cuticle (b) to make the cells more permeable to iodine solution (c) to remove the chlorophyll (d) to stop chemical reactions in the cells.>
- Why do we feel hot when we wear winter clothes?
- When we burn wool why do we get the smell of hair burn?
- How many bones do we have when we are newborns?
- Should we boil the pasteurized milk once again after bringing it home?
- Why do we get ClassNotFoundException when the class exists in Java?
- Why do we forget things? Is it normal?
- Why do we cry? Can it be controlled?
- When overriding clone method, why do we need to declare it as public in Java?
- Why do our eyes water when we cut onions?
- When we run, we breathe fast. Why?
- Why We See Water Droplets In A Glass When We Pour Child Water In It?
- When do we we get sun stroke ?