- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- MS Excel
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Which phenomenon of light makes the water to appear shallower than it really is?
Refraction of light is the phenomenon due to which the water appears shallower than it really is.
Refraction is the process of bending of light, when light travels from one medium to another medium. The bending of light is caused due to the differences between the densities of the two mediums.
When we look into a water tank, we do not see the actual bottom of the tank, we see a virtual image of the bottom of the tank which is formed by the refraction of light coming from the water into the air. Thus, the water tank appears less deep or shallower than it really is.
- Related Articles
- Name the phenomenon due to which a swimming pool appears less deep than it really is.
- Name the force which makes heavy objects appear light when immersed in a liquid.
- Which phenomenon is responsible for making the path of light visible?
- A mug full of water appears light as long as it is under water in the bucket than when it is outside water. Why ?
- Which property of light makes a pencil cast a shadow when it is held in front of a light source?
- Objects in the mirror are closer than they appear". In which mirror it is written."
- State whether the following statements are true or false:(a) The scattering away of red light makes the sky appear blue during the day time.(b) The scattering away of blue light makes the sun appear red at sunset.
- List different natural phenomenon which is due to (i) Atmospheric refraction (ii) Scattering of light.
- Light travels more quickly through water than through glass.(a) Which is optically denser : water or glass?(b) If a ray of light passes from glass into water, which way will it bend : towards the normal or away from the normal?
- Give the meaning of the term VIBGYOR. With which phenomenon is it connected?
- Is grey really a dull colour that makes us sad?
- The stars appear higher in the sky than they actually are, due to:(a) diffraction of lightv(b) scattering of light(c) refraction of light (d) reflection of light
- Name the physical quantity which makes it easier to accelerate a small car than a large car.
- (a) With the help of a labelled diagram, explain why a tank full of water appears less deep than it actually is.(b) Name the phenomenon due to which a pencil partly immersed in water and held obliquely appears to be bent at the water surface.
- Keyword Cannibalization: What It (Really) Is & How to Fix It