- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- MS Excel
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Which of the following statements is not correct?
(i) Forests protect the soil from erosion.
(ii) Plants and animals in a forest are not dependent on one another.
(iii) Forests influence the climate and water cycle.
(iv) Soil helps forests to grow and regenerate.
Correct answer: (ii) Plants and animals in a forest are not dependent on one another.
Explanation: Plants and animals in a forest are dependent on one another for food and the exchange of gases.
[Extra information: Forests are a very important renewable natural resource. The roots of trees in the forest bind the soil particles together which helps in preventing soil erosion.
Plants in the forest absorb water from the soil through their roots and release it into the air by the process of transpiration which increases the amount of water vapour in the air, helps in cloud formation and rainfall. Thus, forests play an important role in the water cycle operating on the earth. Moreover, the raindrops do not fall directly on the forest floor with full force due to the presence of plants in different layers in a forest which prevents flooding. Forests help in maintaining the water table by harvesting rainwater.
Decomposers are the organisms that feed on the dead bodies of plants and animals. They convert complex organic molecules present in dead and decay matter into simple inorganic molecules and allow them to mix with the soil. Thus, they help to recycle nutrients.
Some decomposers are bacteria, fungi, beetles and grubs.]
- Related Articles
- State whether the following statements are true or false. If false, give the correct statement.(a) Forests influence climate, water cycle and air quality.(b) In a forest, trees form the uppermost layer, followed by herbs. The shrubs form the lowest layer of vegetation.(c) The forest keeps on growing and changing and can regenerate.(d) Forests protect the soil from erosion.
- Which of the following is FALSE?a. Forests help in preventing soil erosion.b. Forests cannot grow and regenerate.c. Forests can influence climate.d. Forests can improve the quality of air.
- Write a note on how forests influence the quality of our air, soil and water resources.
- Read the following environmental conditions of tropical rain forests:(i) Hot and humid climate(ii) Unequal lengths of day and night(iii) Abundant rainfall(iv) Abundant light and moisture Identify the conditions from the above list that are responsible for the presence of a large number of plants and animals in tropical rain forests.(a) (i) and (ii)(b) (i) and (iii)(c) (i), (iii) and (iv)(d) (ii) and (iv)
- Why is soil erosion relatively less in dense forests as compared to barren, open fields?
- Read the following statements with reference to soil.Weathering is a very fast process of soil formation.Percolation of water is faster in sandy soils.Loamy soil contains only sand and clay.Topsoil contains the maximum amount of humus.Choose the correct statements from the above.(a) (ii) and (iv)(b) (i) and (iii)(c) (ii) and (iii)(d) (i) and (ii)
- The most rapidly dwindling natural resource in the world is:(a) water (b) soil (c) sunlight (d) forests
- Which of the following are not the liquid forms of water?SnowLake waterRiver waterWater vapourIceChoose the correct combination from the options below.(a) (i), (iv) and (v)(b) (i) and (ii)(c) (ii) and (iii)(d) (iv) only
- Explain how animals dwelling in the forest help it grow and regenerate.
- Which of the following are not ionic compounds?KClHClCCl4NaCl(a) (i) and (ii)(b) (ii) and (iii)(c) (iii) and (iv)(d) (i) and (iii)
- Tick the most suitable answerThe water holding capacity is the highest in(i) Sandy soil(ii) Clayey soil(iii) Loamy soil(iv) Mixture of sand and loam
- Which one of the following depicts the correct representation of the atomic radius(r) of an atom?(i) and (ii)(ii) and (iii)(iii) and (iv)(i) and (iv)"
- DIRECTIONS: Read the following three statements carefully and choose the correct option. (i) Roots of potato cannot give rise to new plants. (ii) Plants produced by vegetative propagation take longer time to grow and bear flowers. (iii) Spores are asexual reproduction bodies.(a) Statements (i) and (iii) are incorrect but (ii) is correct.(b) Statements (i) and (ii) are incorrect but (iii) is correct.(c) All statements are correct.(d) All statements are incorrect.
- Which of these options are not functions of ribosomes?(i) It helps in manufacture of protein molecules(ii) It helps in manufacture of enzymes(iii) It helps in manufacture of hormones(iv) It helps in manufacture of starch molecules.(a) (i) and (ii)(b) (ii) and (iii)(c) (iii) and (iv)(d) (iv) and (i)
- Forests are not responsible for(a) providing medicinal plants(b) maintaining the flow of water into the streams(c) creating flood conditions(d) absorbing rainwater and maintaining water table