- MS SQL Server
- MS SQL Server - Home
- MS SQL Server - Overview
- MS SQL Server – Editions
- MS SQL Server – Installation
- MS SQL Server – Architecture
- MS SQL Server – Managment Studio
- MS SQL Server – Login Database
- MS SQL Server - Create Database
- MS SQL Server - Select Database
- MS SQL Server - Drop Database
- MS SQL Server - Creating Backups
- MS SQL Server - Restoring Databases
- MS SQL Server - Create Users
- MS SQL Server - Assign Permissions
- MS SQL Server - Monitor Database
- MS SQL Server - Services
- MS SQL Server - HA Technologies
- MS SQL Server - Reporting services
- MS SQL Server - Execution Plans
- MS SQL Server - Integration Services
- MS SQL Server - Analysis Services
- MS SQL Server Useful Resources
- MS SQL Server - Quick Guide
- MS SQL Server - Useful Resources
- MS SQL Server - Discussion
MS SQL Server - Editions
SQL Server is available in various editions. This chapter lists the multiple editions with its features.
Enterprise − This is the top-end edition with a full feature set.
Standard − This has less features than Enterprise, when there is no requirement of advanced features.
Workgroup − This is suitable for remote offices of a larger company.
Web − This is designed for web applications.
Developer − This is similar to Enterprise, but licensed to only one user for development, testing and demo. It can be easily upgraded to Enterprise without reinstallation.
Express − This is free entry level database. It can utilize only 1 CPU and 1 GB memory, the maximum size of the database is 10 GB.
Compact − This is free embedded database for mobile application development. The maximum size of the database is 4 GB.
Datacenter − The major change in new SQL Server 2008 R2 is Datacenter Edition. The Datacenter edition has no memory limitation and offers support for more than 25 instances.
Business Intelligence − Business Intelligence Edition is a new introduction in SQL Server 2012. This edition includes all the features in the Standard edition and support for advanced BI features such as Power View and PowerPivot, but it lacks support for advanced availability features like AlwaysOn Availability Groups and other online operations.
Enterprise Evaluation − The SQL Server Evaluation Edition is a great way to get a fully functional and free instance of SQL Server for learning and developing solutions. This edition has a built-in expiry of 6 months from the time that you install it.
|Win Compact Edition - Mobile||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
Kickstart Your Career
Get certified by completing the courseGet Started