- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Monolithic System Architecture
The entire operating system works in the kernel space in the monolithic system. This increases the size of the kernel as well as the operating system. This is different than the microkernel system where the minimum software that is required to correctly implement an operating system is kept in the kernel.
A diagram that demonstrates the architecture of a monolithic system is as follows −
The kernel provides various services such as memory management, file management, process scheduling etc. using function calls. This makes the execution of the operating system quite fast as the services are implemented under the same address space.
Differences Between Microkernel and Monolithic Kernel
Some of the differences between microkernel and monolithic kernel are given as follows −
- The microkernel is much smaller in size as compared to the monolithic kernel.
- The microkernel is easily extensible whereas this is quite complicated for the monolithic kernel.
- The execution of the microkernel is slower as compared to the monolithic kernel.
- Much more code is required to write a microkernel than the monolithic kernel.
- Examples of Microkernel are QNX, Symbian, L4 Linux etc. Monolithic Kernel examples areLinux, BSD etc.
Advantages of Monolithic Kernel
Some of the advantages of monolithic kernel are −
- The execution of the monolithic kernel is quite fast as the services such as memory management, file management, process scheduling etc.are implemented under the same address space.
- A process runs completely in a single address space in the monolithic kernel.
- The monolithic kernel is a static single binary file.
Disadvantages of Monolithic Kernel
Some of the disadvantages of monolithic kernel are −
- If any service fails in the monolithic kernel, it leads to the failure of the entire system.
- To add any new service, the entire operating system needs to be modified by the user.
- Difference between monolithic and microservices architecture
- Computer System Architecture
- Architecture of SAP HANA system
- Components in SAP HANA multi-system architecture
- Loadable Modules Architecture of the Operating System
- What is Common Bus System in Computer Architecture?
- Describe the College Management system in three layer architecture?
- Difference Between Microkernel and Monolithic Kernel\n
- What is the concept of Monolithic kernel?
- What is the computer architecture that supports the operating system?
- What are the types of Parallel Processor System in Computer Architecture?
- Explain monolithic and modular programming in C language
- How do modules improve monolithic and micro kernel approaches?
- Cellular Architecture
- GSM Architecture