- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Explain monolithic and modular programming in C language
The difference between monolithic programming and modular programming along with the advantages and disadvantage are explained below in detail.
If, we write an entire program in a single function that is in main function then, you call it as a monolithic type of programming. But, it is not a good style of writing entire logic in a single function.
The disadvantages of monolithic programming include −
- Program seems to be very large and complex.
- Debugging, testing and maintenance of a program is very difficult.
If the program is divided into number of functional parts, then we use to call it as modular programming.
If the main program is divided into sub programs, then we can independently code each sub module later combine into single unit. This type of individual modules is termed as functions.
The advantages of modular programming include −
- It is easy to understand the program.
- Debugging and maintenance becomes easy.
- Saves programmers or user’s time.
- Reuse the code where ever necessary.
Example of modular programming
An example of modular programming is given below −
The splitting of a problem into its related sub problems is analogous to the process of refining an algorithm.
Performing arithmetic operations on two numbers
The steps are given below −
- Find sum
- Find difference
- Find product
- Find quotient
Refined algorithm for third step
The refined algorithm to find product of two numbers is as follows −
- take 2 numbers a, b
- product, c = a * b
- print product
The structure chart is explained below −
- Explain array of pointers in C programming language
- Explain modular automation framework.
- C++ Programming Language Features
- C Programming Language Standard
- Explain reference and pointer in C programming?
- Comments in C++ Programming Language
- What is C++ programming language?
- Basics of C++ Programming Language?
- A C Programming Language Puzzle?
- Limitations of C programming language
- Explain fgetc() and fputc() functions in C language
- fgetc() function in C Programming Language
- Explain C tokens in C Language
- Explain about link and definition section in C language
- Explain pointers and one-dimensional array in C language