- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Explain the Relational Model in DBMS?
In relational models, the data is maintained in the form of a two-dimensional table.
Information is stored in the form of rows and columns. The basic structure of this model is tables. Generally, tables are called relations in the relational model.
Let’s consider a student table
The features of Relational Model are as follows −
Tuples − Each row in the table is called a tuple. A row contains all the information about any instance of the object. In the above example, each row contains all the information regarding each student.
Attribute or field − Attributes are property which defines the table or relation. The values of the attribute should be from the same domain. In the above example, we have different attributes of the student like Id, name, age, branch, etc.
The advantages of the relational model are as follows −
Changes in a table’s structure do not affect data access.
Tabular view improves conceptual simplicity which promotes easier database design, implementation, and management.
It has a referential integrity control that ensures data consistency.
This model is simpler as compared to other networks.
This model is easily scalable because we can add as many rows and columns, we want.
The disadvantages of the relational model are as follows −
- Explain the relational algebra in DBMS?
- Explain the select operation in relational algebra (DBMS)?
- Explain the binary operations in relational algebra (DBMS)?
- Explain the Network Model in DBMS?
- Difference Between E-R Model and Relational Model in DBMS
- Explain the evaluation of relational algebra expression(DBMS)
- Explain project operation in relational algebra (DBMS)?
- Explain rename operation in relational algebra (DBMS)?
- Explain union operation in relational algebra (DBMS)?
- Explain intersection operation in relational algebra (DBMS)?
- Explain cartesian product in relational algebra (DBMS)?
- Explain division operation in relational algebra (DBMS)?
- Explain the object oriented data model in DBMS?
- Relational Database Model
- Relational Data Model