- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Explain union operation in relational algebra (DBMS)?
Query is a question or requesting information. Query language is a language which is used to retrieve information from a database.
Query language is divided into two types −
Information is retrieved from the database by specifying the sequence of operations to be performed.
For Example − Relational algebra.
Structure Query language (SQL) is based on relational algebra.
Relational algebra consists of a set of operations that take one or two relations as an input and produces a new relation as output.
Types of Relational Algebra operations
The different types of relational algebra operations are as follows −
Cartesian product operation
Union, intersection, difference, cartesian, join, division comes under binary operation (operate on two tables).
Union operation combines values in R1, R2 by removing duplicate ones.
∏regno(R1) ∪ ∏regno(R2)
It displays all the regno of R1 and R2.
Consider two tables R1 and R2 −
Table R1 is as follows −
Table R2 is as follows −
To display all the regno of R1 and R2, use the following command −
∏regno(R1) ∪ ∏regno(R2)
To retrieve branch and section of student from table R1 and R2, use the below mentioned command −
∏ branch, section (R1) ∪ ∏ branch, section (R2)
No repletion allowed for entry.
Union All − It is used for duplicate entries. The common entries will be shown if the common intersection is used.
- Explain rename operation in relational algebra (DBMS)?
- Explain project operation in relational algebra (DBMS)?
- Explain intersection operation in relational algebra (DBMS)?
- Explain division operation in relational algebra (DBMS)?
- Explain the select operation in relational algebra (DBMS)?
- Explain the relational algebra in DBMS?
- What is join operation in relational algebra (DBMS)?
- Explain cartesian product in relational algebra (DBMS)?
- Explain the binary operations in relational algebra (DBMS)?
- Explain the evaluation of relational algebra expression(DBMS)
- Write queries using aggregate functions in relational algebra (DBMS)?
- Explain the Relational Model in DBMS?
- Difference between Relational Algebra and Relational Calculus
- Basic Operators in Relational Algebra
- Explain the unary operations of algebra relations in DBMS?