- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Explain rename operation in relational algebra (DBMS)?
Query is a question or requesting information. Query language is a language which is used to retrieve information from a database.
Query language is divided into two types −
Information is retrieved from the database by specifying the sequence of operations to be performed.
For Example − Relational algebra.
Structure Query language (SQL) is based on relational algebra.
Relational algebra consists of a set of operations that take one or two relations as an input and produces a new relation as output.
Types of Relational Algebra operations
The different types of relational algebra operations are as follows −
Cartesian product operation
Select, project, rename comes under unary operation (operate on one table).
It is used to assign a new name to a relation and is denoted by ρ (rho).
ρnewname (tablename or expression)
Consider the student table given below −
The student table is renamed with newstudent with the help of the following command −
The name, branch column of student table are renamed and newbranch respectively
Binary operations are applied on two compatible relations.
Two relations R1, R2 are to be compatible if they are of the same degree and the domains of corresponding attributes are the same.
The Rho in DDL used for name of relation and in DML used for name of attributes.
SQL Old name New name
Types of RENAME
Renaming can be used by three methods, which are as follows −
Changing name of the relation.
Changing name of the attribute.
- Explain project operation in relational algebra (DBMS)?
- Explain union operation in relational algebra (DBMS)?
- Explain intersection operation in relational algebra (DBMS)?
- Explain division operation in relational algebra (DBMS)?
- Explain the select operation in relational algebra (DBMS)?
- What is join operation in relational algebra (DBMS)?
- Explain the relational algebra in DBMS?
- Explain cartesian product in relational algebra (DBMS)?
- Explain the binary operations in relational algebra (DBMS)?
- Explain the evaluation of relational algebra expression(DBMS)
- Write queries using aggregate functions in relational algebra (DBMS)?
- Explain the Relational Model in DBMS?
- Difference between Relational Algebra and Relational Calculus
- Basic Operators in Relational Algebra
- Explain the unary operations of algebra relations in DBMS?