- DBMS Tutorial
- DBMS - Home
- DBMS - Overview
- DBMS - Architecture
- DBMS - Data Models
- DBMS - Data Schemas
- DBMS - Data Independence
- Entity Relationship Model
- DBMS - ER Model Basic Concepts
- DBMS - ER Diagram Representation
- DBMS - Generalization, Aggregation
- Relational Model
- DBMS - Codd's Rules
- DBMS - Relational Data Model
- DBMS - Relational Algebra
- DBMS - ER to Relational Model
- DBMS- SQL Overview
- Relational Database Design
- DBMS - Database Normalization
- DBMS - Database Joins
- Storage and File Structure
- DBMS - Storage System
- DBMS - File Structure
- Indexing and Hashing
- DBMS - Indexing
- DBMS - Hashing
- Transaction And Concurrency
- DBMS - Transaction
- DBMS - Concurrency Control
- DBMS - Deadlock
- Backup and Recovery
- DBMS - Data Backup
- DBMS - Data Recovery
- DBMS Useful Resources
- DBMS - Quick Guide
- DBMS - Useful Resources
- DBMS - Discussion
What are the capabilities of DBMS and why relational DBMS is powerful?
Database management system (DBMS) is a software or tool which can be used for managing and maintaining the data within the database.
Major Capabilities of DBMS
The major capabilities of DBMS are listed below −
- Data Storage
- Data Retrieval
- Data Update
- Data Independence
Generally a person has to work with a huge amount of information every day. In order to interact with the large amount of data we need a system where we can store, manipulate, security, sharing the information all over the world. It is a core reason the industries are maintaining database management tools.
Powerful Relational DBMS
The relational DBMS is more powerful because of the reasons explained below −
In the RDBMS model the data will be stored in the form of tabular format, whereas, table is nothing but a collection of rows and columns.
The RDBMS model will provide high level security by using authentication and authorisation.
RDBMS maintains accuracy and consistency of the data with the help of data integrity mechanism.
RDBMS supports the data manipulations by using DML commands.
RDBMS provides faster rate retrieving the data by using index mechanism.
Benefits of RDBMS
Some of the key benefits of relational DBMS are as follows −
Reduction in data duplication.
Risk of inconsistent data is reduced, resulting in better data integrity.
The Independence of data allows other views as well of the same data.
Allows the easy extension to the structure of the database.
One of the limitations of relational DBMS is its rigidity which comes from organizing data into tables and relations.
- Related Articles
- What is join operation in relational algebra (DBMS)?
- Explain the Relational Model in DBMS?
- Explain the relational algebra in DBMS?
- Relational Set Operators in DBMS
- Explain the evaluation of relational algebra expression(DBMS)
- Explain the select operation in relational algebra (DBMS)?
- Explain the binary operations in relational algebra (DBMS)?
- Explain project operation in relational algebra (DBMS)?
- Explain rename operation in relational algebra (DBMS)?
- Explain union operation in relational algebra (DBMS)?
- Explain intersection operation in relational algebra (DBMS)?
- Explain cartesian product in relational algebra (DBMS)?
- Explain division operation in relational algebra (DBMS)?
- What are the components of DBMS?
- What are the applications of DBMS?