- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Explain a Step Definition in SpecFlow.
To execute the Feature file, we must add the implementation logic for each of the steps. To add the definition of the step in SpecFlow, the C# language is used. Thus, a Step Definition File contains methods developed in C# within a Class.
The methods have annotations along with a pattern to connect the Step Definition to every matching step. SpecFlow shall run the code to execute the keywords in Gherkin.
A Step Definition file is a link between the application interface and Feature File. For providing readability features, the Step Definition File can have parameters. This signifies that it is not required to have a step definition for each step that has a minor difference.
For instance, Given Login to admin application and Given Login to payment application steps can be automated with one step definition by passing admin and payment as parameters. The regular expression (.*) is used to declare parameters for a method.
Rules for Regular expressions
The rules for regular expressions are listed below −
It is matched with the complete step, even though we are not using the markers ^ and $.
The capturing groups in the regular expression describe the parameters for the method in order.
Rules for Step Definition Methods
The rules to be followed for Step Definition methods are listed below −
It should have an [Binding] attribute and reside within a public class.
It should be public.
It can either have a static or non-static method. If it is a non-static method, an object should be instantiated once for every scenario of the class where it resides.
It should not have ref or out parameters.
It cannot have a return type.
Step Definition File Creation
Right-click on any step of the Feature File, then click on Generate Step Definitions option.
In the Generate Step Definition Skeleton pop-up, check the steps for which we want to generate the implementation. Add a Class Name, then click on the Generate button.
Give the location of saving the Step Definition File and then click on Save.
The Step Definition File gets opened with all the matching steps in the Feature File. It also contains regular expression attributes.
Project Folder after Step Definition File Creation
- Explain a Feature file in SpecFlow.
- How to create a step definition file for Cucumber in Java?
- How to map a step definition to a feature file in Cucumber?
- How to auto-generate a step definition to a feature file in Cucumber?
- Explain the Difference Between Definition and Declaration
- Explain about single step income statement in accounting with example.
- How to make a Website step by step?
- Explain about link and definition section in C language
- Explain formal definition of language with examples in TOC?
- How to break your addictions in a step by step manner?
- Automated Software Testing with SpecFlow in Selenium
- What is definition of business finance and explain its types?
- How to use MSTest Annotations in specflow c#?
- What is social bookmarking? Step by step explanation?
- What is a Unit Step Signal?