- Types of Interviews
- Structured Interviews
- Unstructured Interviews
- One-on-One Interviews
- Panel Interviews
- Group Interviews
- Stress Interviews
- Informational Interviews
- Competency-Based Interviews
- Assessment Center Interviews
- Telephonic Interviews
- Types of Interviews Questions
- Behavioral Questions
- Traditional Questions
- Case Questions
- Role-Play Questions
- Industry-Specific Questions
- Useful Resources
- Cracking Interviews - Quick Guide
- Cracking Interviews - Resources
- Cracking Interviews - Discussion
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Some recruiters might ask you for certain sensitive data like age, marital status, nationality, that might not have any apparent bearing on the profile you have applied for. However, the job might have specific requirements in these areas.
Here is a list of questions that are generally considered avoidable for an employer to ask of an applicant. These questions are provided for your reference and they need not be answered.
- How old are you?
- Are you single/married?
- Tell me about your family.
- Do you have any children?
- Do you have any disabilities?
- What is your maiden name?
- What are your political views?
- What is your sexual orientation?
- Were your parents immigrants?
- Do you have any health problems?
If you are asked one of the above-mentioned questions, and you want to work with the company without compromising your rights, you could respond with a counter question −
“I’d love to answer the question. Would you mind telling me the reason for asking it?”
The applicant must note that the interviewer can still obtain these details by asking these alternative questions mentioned below.
- What’s your address and phone number?
- Are you over the age of 18?
- Do you have any commitments that may conflict with your work schedule?
- Are there restrictions that conflict with your work?
- Have you ever used a different name?
- Can you perform duties of this position?
- Do you speak/write any other language?
- Are you authorized to work in this country?