- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
How to make loops run faster using Python?
This is a language agnostic question. Loops are there in almost every language and the same principles apply everywhere. You need to realize that compilers do most heavy lifting when it comes to loop optimization, but you as a programmer also need to keep your loops optimized.
It is important to realize that everything you put in a loop gets executed for every loop iteration. They key to optimizing loops is to minimize what they do. Even operations that appear to be very fast will take a long time if the repeated many times. Executing an operation that takes 1 microsecond a million times will take 1 second to complete.
Don't execute things like len(list) inside a loop or even in its starting condition.
a = [i for i in range(1000000)] length = len(a) for i in a: print(i - length)
is much much faster than
a = [i for i in range(1000000)] for i in a: print(i - len(a))
You can also use techniques like Loop Unrolling(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loop_unrolling) which is loop transformation technique that attempts to optimize a program's execution speed at the expense of its binary size, which is an approach known as space-time tradeoff.
Using functions like map, filter, etc. instead of explicit for loops can also provide some performance improvements.
- How do I run two python loops concurrently?
- Why does Python code run faster in a function?
- How to make an arrow that loops in Matplotlib?
- How can I make one Python file run another?
- How can I make sense of the else clause of Python loops?
- How to use nested loops in Python?
- Indexing large text field to make query faster in MongoDB
- How to run Python Program?
- How to iterate over dictionaries using 'for' loops in Python?
- How can I enhance my select query to make it faster in MySQL?
- How to Run a Python Program
- Python - Which is faster to initialize lists?
- How to run .SQL script using JDBC?
- How to use else statement with Loops in Python?