- Computer Concepts Tutorial
- Computer Concepts - Home
- Introduction to Computer
- Introduction to GUI based OS
- Elements of Word Processing
- Spread Sheet
- Introduction to Internet, WWW, Browsers
- Communication & Collaboration
- Application of Presentations
- Application of Digital Financial Services
- Computer Concepts Resources
- Computer Concepts - Quick Guide
- Computer Concepts - Useful Resources
- Computer Concepts - Discussion
Computer Concepts - Types of Files
Files in the operating system are of following types −
Ordinary files help to store information like text, graphics, images, etc. These files are used to store information fed by the user. Examples of ordinary files include a notepad, paint, programming applications, etc.
Directory files are nothing but a place/area/location where details of files are stored. It contains details about file names, ownership, file size and time when they are created and last modified.
Device files are also called as special files. They are created by operating system which act as a mediator between the operating system and hardware like printers, plotters, etc., and are stored under a sub-directory, "/dev".
FIFO files act as an input/output channel between processes. As the name indicates, it maintains order of request and response to files by user or any other device.
Kickstart Your Career
Get certified by completing the courseGet Started