- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
What is Leaky Bucket algorithm in computer networks?
When too many packets are present in the network it causes packet delay and loss of packet which degrades the performance of the system. This situation is called congestion.
The network layer and transport layer share the responsibility for handling congestions. One of the most effective ways to control congestion is trying to reduce the load that transport layer is placing on the network. To maintain this, the network and transport layers have to work together.
With too much traffic, performance drops sharply.
There are two types of Congestion control algorithms, which are as follows −
- Leaky Bucket Algorithm
- Token Bucket Algorithm
Leaky Bucket Algorithm
Let see the working condition of Leaky Bucket Algorithm −
Leaky Bucket Algorithm mainly controls the total amount and the rate of the traffic sent to the network.
Step 1 − Let us imagine a bucket with a small hole at the bottom where the rate at which water is poured into the bucket is not constant and can vary but it leaks from the bucket at a constant rate.
Step 2 − So (up to water is present in the bucket), the rate at which the water leaks does not depend on the rate at which the water is input to the bucket.
Step 3 − If the bucket is full, additional water that enters into the bucket that spills over the sides and is lost.
Step 4 − Thus the same concept applied to packets in the network. Consider that data is coming from the source at variable speeds. Suppose that a source sends data at 10 Mbps for 4 seconds. Then there is no data for 3 seconds. The source again transmits data at a rate of 8 Mbps for 2 seconds. Thus, in a time span of 8 seconds, 68 Mb data has been transmitted.
That’s why if a leaky bucket algorithm is used, the data flow would be 8 Mbps for 9 seconds. Thus, the constant flow is maintained.
- What is Token Bucket algorithm in computer networks?
- What is IPsec in computer networks?
- What is NAT in computer networks?
- What is Tunnelling in Computer Networks?
- What is bit stuffing in computer networks?
- What is byte stuffing in computer networks?
- What is Hybrid Topology in Computer Networks?
- What is baseband transmission in computer networks?
- What is Traffic Throttling in computer networks?
- What is Pure ALOHA in computer networks?
- What is slotted ALOHA in computer networks?
- What is Ethernet evolution in computer networks?
- What is load shedding in computer networks?
- What is Attenuation Distortion in computer networks?
- What is Delay distortion in computer networks?