- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
What are the DML commands in DBMS?
The structured query language (SQL) commands deal with the manipulation of data present in the database that belongs to the DML or Data Manipulation Language. This includes most of the SQL statements.
Examples of DML
The examples of DML in the Database Management System (DBMS) are as follows −
SELECT − Retrieve data from the database.
INSERT − Insert data into a table.
UPDATE − Update existing data within a table.
DELETE − Delete records from a database table.
Syntax for DML Commands
The syntax for the DML commands are as follows −
Insert command is used to insert data into a table.
The syntax for insert command is as follows −
Insert into <table_name> (column list) values (column values);
For example, if we want to insert multiple rows to the Employee table, we can use the following command −
Insert into Employee(Emp_id, Emp_name) values (001, “ bhanu”); Insert into Employee(Emp_id, Emp_name) values (002, “ hari”); Insert into Employee(Emp_id, Emp_name) values (003, “ bob”);
Select command is used to retrieve data from the database.
The syntax for the select command is as follows −
SELECT * from <table_name>;
For example, if we want to select all rows from the Employee database, we can use the following command −
SELECT * from Employee;
Delete command is used to delete records from a database table.
The syntax for the delete command is as follows -
Delete from <table_name>WHERE condition;
For example, if we want to delete an entire row of employee id 002, we can use the following command −
DELETE from Employee WHERE Emp_id=002;
Update command is used to update existing data within a table.
The syntax for the update command is as follows -
UPDATE <table_name> SET column_number =value_number WHERE condition;
For example, if we want to update the name of the employee having the employee id 001, we can use the command given below −
UPDATE Employee SET Emp_name= Ram WHERE Emp_id= 001;
- What are the DDL commands in DBMS?
- What are the DCL commands in DBMS?
- What are the TCL commands in DBMS?
- Difference between DDL and DML in DBMS.
- Data Definition Commands in DBMS
- Data Manipulation Commands in DBMS
- What are Shell Commands?
- What are the different commands used in MySQL?
- What are the Pre-processor Commands in C language?
- What are the components of DBMS?
- What are the applications of DBMS?
- What are the useful commands in JShell in Java 9?
- What are the different types of DBMS?
- What are the states of transaction in DBMS?
- What are the capabilities of DBMS and why relational DBMS is powerful?