- SAP HANA Tutorial
- SAP HANA - Home
- SAP HANA Introduction
- SAP HANA - Overview
- In-Memory Computing Engine
- SAP HANA - Studio
- Studio Administration View
- SAP HANA - System Monitor
- SAP HANA - Information Modeler
- SAP HANA - Core Architecture
- SAP HANA Modeling
- SAP HANA - Modeling
- SAP HANA - Data Warehouse
- SAP HANA - Tables
- SAP HANA - Packages
- SAP HANA - Attribute View
- SAP HANA - Analytic View
- SAP HANA - Calculation View
- SAP HANA - Analytic Privileges
- SAP HANA - Information Composer
- SAP HANA - Export and Import
- SAP HANA Reporting
- SAP HANA - Reporting View
- Bi 4.0 Connectivity to HANA Views
- SAP HANA - Crystal Reports
- SAP HANA - Excel Integration
- SAP HANA Security
- SAP HANA - Security Overview
- User Administration & Management
- SAP HANA - Authentications
- SAP HANA - Authorization methods
- SAP HANA - License Management
- SAP HANA - Auditing
- SAP HANA Data Replication
- SAP HANA - Data Replication Overview
- SAP HANA - ETL Based Replication
- SAP HANA - Log Based Replication
- SAP HANA - DXC Method
- SAP HANA - CTL Method
- SAP HANA - MDX Provider
- SAP HANA Monitoring
- SAP HANA - Monitoring and Alerting
- SAP HANA - Persistent Layer
- SAP HANA - Backup & Recovery
- SAP HANA - High Availability
- SAP HANA - Log Configuration
- SAP HANA SQL
- SAP HANA - SQL Overview
- SAP HANA - Data Types
- SAP HANA - SQL Operators
- SAP HANA - SQL Functions
- SAP HANA - SQL Expressions
- SAP HANA - SQL Stored Procedures
- SAP HANA - SQL Sequences
- SAP HANA - SQL Triggers
- SAP HANA - SQL Synonym
- SAP HANA - SQL Explain Plans
- SAP HANA - SQL Data Profiling
- SAP HANA - SQL Script
- SAP HANA Useful Resources
- SAP HANA - Questions and Answers
- SAP HANA - Quick Guide
- SAP HANA - Useful Resources
- SAP HANA - Discussion
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
SAP HANA - Backup & Recovery
SAP HANA backup and recovery is used to perform HANA system backups and recovery of system in case of any database failure.
It tells the status of currently running data backup and last successful data backup.
Backup now option can be used to run data backup wizard.
It tells about the Backup interval settings, file based data backup settings and log based data backup setting.
Backup Interval Settings
Backint settings give an option to use third party tool for data and log back up with configuration of backing agent.
Configure the connection to a third-party backup tool by specifying a parameter file for the Backint agent.
File and Log Based Data Backup Settings
File based data backup setting tells the folder where you want to save the data backup on HANA system. You can change your backup folder.
You can also limit the size of data backup files. If system data backup exceeds this set file size, it will split across the multiple files.
Log backup settings tell the destination folder where you want to save log backup on external server. You can choose a destination type for log backup
File − ensures that sufficient space in system to store backups
Backint − is special named pipe exists on file system but require no disk space.
You can choose backup interval from drop down. It tells the longest amount of time that can pass before a new log backup is written. Backup Interval: It can be in seconds, minutes or hours.
Enable Automatic log backup option: It helps you to keep log area vacant. If you disable this log area will continue to fill and that can result database to hang.
Open Backup Wizard − to run the backup of system.
Backup wizard is used to specify backup settings. It tells the Backup type, destination Type, Backup Destination folder, Backup prefix, size of backup, etc.
When you click on next → Review Backup settings → Finish
It runs the system backups and tells the time to complete backup for the each server.
Recovery of HANA System
To recover SAP HANA database, the database needs to be shut down. Hence, during recovery, end users or SAP applications cannot access the database.
Recovery of SAP HANA database is required in the following situations −
A disk in the data area is unusable or disk in the log area is unusable.
As a consequence of a logical error, the database needs to be reset to its state at a particular point in time.
You want to create a copy of the database.
How to recover a HANA system?
Choose HANA system → Right click → Back and Recovery → Recover System
Types of recovery in HANA system
Most Recent State − Used for recovering the database to the time as close as possible to the current time. For this recovery, the data backup and log backup have to be available since last data backup and log area are required to perform the above type recovery.
Point in Time − Used for recovering the database to the specific point in time. For this recovery, the data backup and log backup have to be available since last data backup and log area are required to perform the above type recovery
Specific Data Backup − Used for recovering the database to a specified data backup. Specific data backup is required for the above type of recovery option.
Specific Log Position − This recovery type is an advanced option that can be used in exceptional cases where a previous recovery failed.
Note − To run recovery wizard you should have administrator privileges on HANA system.