- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- MS Excel
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
What is the reason behind rainbow formation just after rain when sunlight falls on water droplets?
A rainbow is an atmospheric phenomenon which is caused by reflection, refraction and dispersion of sunlight from condensed water droplets resulting in a "spectrum of light" (a band of colours) appearing in the sky, that takes the shape of a multicoloured arc.
Due to dispersion, white light (sunlight) separates into different components of light by their different degrees of refraction according to wavelength.
It separates into a total of seven different colours, and the band of colours starts with red on the outside and changes through orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo to violet on the inside.
It often visible after rainfall due to a highly humid atmosphere, and always appears directly opposite the sun.
When a beam of sunlight enters the water droplet, it slows down and bends towards the normal, as it goes from the rarer medium (air) to denser medium (water), and then split into separate colours.
And, upon exiting the droplet, light speeds up and bends away from the normal, as it goes from the denser medium (water) to rarer medium (air).
The angle from the ground surface to the vertex of the rainbow (visual angle), is approximately 42, while the original sun rays enter approximately at 40.
- Related Articles
- What information do we get about sunlight from the formation of a rainbow?
- What is the reason behind heart attack?
- Explain rainbow formation.
- What is a rainbow? Draw a labelled diagram to show the formation of a rainbow.
- Keep a chilled bottle from the fridge on normal room temperature, you will find some droplets of water on it. Give a reason for these droplets.
- What is rain gauge? Who invented it? What is the idea behind it?
- What is rain shadow and what causes its formation?
- What is the reason behind feeding crows during Shraddhas?
- What is the scientific reason behind we getting goosebumps?
- What is Rain Water Harvesting?
- Explain the formation of a rainbow?
- What happens to the rain when they fall on the land?
- What is the reason for post-exercise itching when resumed after a long gap?
- Draw a diagram to show the refraction of light through a glass prism. On this diagram, mark (i) incident ray (ii) emergent ray, and (iii) angle of deviation.(b) What is a rainbow? What are the two conditions necessary for the formation of a rainbow in the sky?(c) What acts as tiny prisms in the formation of a rainbow?(d) Name the process which is involved in the formation of a rainbow.(e) What are the seven colours seen in a rainbow?
- Why We See Water Droplets In A Glass When We Pour Child Water In It?