- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- MS Excel
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Find out which animals live in the foot-hills of the Himalayas. Find out if the types and varieties of animals and plants changes as one goes higher into the mountain regions of the Himalayas.
Temperatures in the mountains are often below 0 degrees. So, animals in the hills have changed so that they can live in freezing weather. The thick fur on their bodies keeps them warm in the cold. They also have a thick layer of fat under their skin to keep them warm and keep the cold out.
Mountains and hills have tall, straight, and sloping plants, making snow easy to slide off. Most of the time, they don't have flowers and instead have cones with seeds inside. The leaves look like needles and are covered in wax.
For example, fir, deodar, pine, cedar, ferns, lichens, mosses, and other small plants without flowers.
Animals inhabiting the foothills of the Himalayas are bears, foxes, sheep, goats, deer, etc. In the heights of the Himalayas, pine trees are present along with animals like snow leopards and lynx.
Birds like robins and parakeets are also present in higher mountain ranges of the Himalayas.
- Related Articles
- Find out the names of plants that grow in water and which are eaten as food.
- Mountains and Mountain Animals
- Name the two systems of control and coordination in higher animals.
- Find out the types of triangles based on angles. List them out and its properties.
- Why do plants and animals possess different types of tissues?
- Scientific Names of Animals and Plants
- Plants and Animals as Primary Food Source
- Why has the Gangotri glacier in the Himalayas started melting?
- What is the difference between plants and animals on the basis of their growth?
- Nocturnal animals (animals which sleep during the day and come out at night) tend to have wide pupils and lot of rods in their retinas. Suggest reasons for this.
- Which type of animals are known as wild animals?
- Out of animals of prey and predators, which have their eyes:(i) at the front of their head?(ii) on the opposite sides of their head?
- Fill in the blanks.(a) The presence of specific features that enable a plant or an animal to live in a particular habitat, is called ________.(b) The habitats of the plants and animals that live on land are called _____ habitats.(c) The habitats of plants and animals that live in water are called _____ habitats.(d) Soil, water, and air are the ______ factors of a habitat.(e) Changes in our surroundings that make us respond to them, are called ______.
- Why are the Himalayas highly prone to landslides?
- Biodiversity in Plants and Animals