- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Installing Python on Linux
Python distribution is available for a wide variety of platforms. You need to download only the binary code applicable for your platform and install Python.
If the binary code for your platform is not available, you need a C compiler to compile the source code manually. Compiling the source code offers more flexibility in terms of choice of features that you require in your installation.
Here are the simple steps to install Python on Unix/Linux machine.
- Open a Web browser and go to https://www.python.org/downloads/
- Follow the link to download zipped source code available for Unix/Linux.
- Download and extract files.
- Editing the Modules/Setup file if you want to customize some options.
- run ./configure script
- make install
This installs Python at standard location /usr/local/bin and its libraries at /usr/local/lib/pythonXX where XX is the version of Python.
Programs and other executable files can be in many directories, so operating systems provide a search path that lists the directories that the OS searches for executables.
The path is stored in an environment variable, which is a named string maintained by the operating system. This variable contains information available to the command shell and other programs.
The path variable is named as PATH in Unix
- Installing MySQL on Linux
- Installing MySQL from source on linux
- Installing MySQL on Unix/Linux Using Generic Binaries
- Installing Python on Windows
- Installing Python on Mac OS
- Installing Linux Packages Inside a Docker Container
- Installing MySQL Using Unbreakable Linux Network (ULN)
- Installing MySQL on macOS
- Installing MySQL on Solaris
- Installing MySQL on FreeBSD
- Installing MySQL on Microsoft Windows
- Installing SAP JCo on Glassfish server 4.0
- Installing SAPUI5 on local machine using XAMPP
- How to set your python path on Linux?
- How to install Tkinter for Python on Linux?